PDA

View Full Version : Penn State chucks

ryan kelley
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
I am considering getting a new chuck so I can have a dedicated chuck for jumbo jaws and one for regular use. I don't have much to spend, I bought my new husq. chainsaw, so I was looking at the Barracuda2 from PSI. Has anyone used this chuck, if so what do you think?

Joshua Dinerstein
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
so I was looking at the Barracuda2 from PSI. Has anyone used this chuck, if so what do you think?
I have one and I really like it. It has been very very effective for me. I have turned at least 50 bowls on it and it has worked great.

That having been said, and while it is a pretty effective tool, it has a few simple issues.

The hex nuts that hold the jaws on and the hex wrench they send with it are 2 seperate sized. How that ever happened I will never know but it did for me. When I was getting mine I found numerous warnings to this effect. But I solved this by simply getting the right wrench from HF, along with 14 others, for $1.

The only other problem I have ever had was just as easily solved. It has an open back. I do not know how this compares to other chucks but I have often had to blow dust, chips and other debris out of it after a good turning session. After about a year I found that the jaws were not turning smooth anymore. There was a "sticking" point and it was just annoying. I called PSI and their tech support guy was a little less than helpful. He did offer warranty service on it but I did not want to be without it. I talked to a friend at work who is a toolnut and he suggested some PB Blaster from a local auto-parts store. I bought some sprayed it in, worked the mechanism and it worked great! Still does. It has never needed a second round of lubrication.

So having those 2 caveats taken care of it has worked prefectly for the last year+ for me.

Joshua

Dan Oliphant
06-26-2008, 3:01 PM
Ryan, I also use the Barracuda 2 chuck. Mine gets used every day, and has been for close to years. No problems. Keep it clean and adjusted and you will not have any issues.

robert hainstock
06-26-2008, 8:21 PM
Most the PSI tool ascessories do a good job including the chucks. They may not be as pretty or as fancy as others, but they function at a budget that I can afford. :):)
Bob

Lee DeRaud
06-26-2008, 8:47 PM
You might want to consider this (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C.html) one: it takes the same jaws as the Barracuda2. I bought one early on, then bought a B2 with a set of 8" Cole jaws. The B2 became my everyday chuck and the Cole jaws ended up installed permanently on the CMCG3. Since you don't tighten those down super-tight anyway, the fact that it's a "tommy-bar" action really isn't an issue: I usually just crank it down snug by hand.

Tony Baideme
06-26-2008, 8:49 PM
Ryan,

I have one of the Barracuda 2 chucks with all 4 sets of jaws and a set of flat jaws also. I love it. It gets a workout with no problems. I hope to buy a second one someday.

I can see, as Joshua said, that there is a fit difference with the jaw T wrench, but I haven't had any trouble with that, yet. I'll be getting a correct allen wrench soo though.

As for the open back, just keep it blown out often. I don't mind that.

I'd say "buy it". You would be sorry. The price is good. Maybe check to see if Amazon has a deal on it too.

Aloha, Tony

Steve Mellott
06-27-2008, 6:45 PM
If you are interested, you can currently buy the following on eBay for $109 with free shipping (new in box).

NOVA G3 CHUCK KIT
With 2" Dovetail Jaws, Woodworm screw, and Insert!

Dennis Puskar
06-27-2008, 9:44 PM
I have and use the Barracuda 2 chuck everyday, really like it no problems.

Dennis

Bonnie Campbell
06-28-2008, 7:32 AM
I've seen the B2 recommended in numerous places. So I just ordered one. Hoping it's as good as all the recommendations :) (and only $149 at Amazon ;) )

Bob Hallowell
06-28-2008, 7:54 AM
I only have 2 chucks a 50 dollar griz which has smooth jaws, I use it occasionally. And the barracuda 2 I use everytime I turn, Keep it cleen and lubed it works great.

Bob