PDA

View Full Version : Calling all cypress experts

Duane Broussard
06-26-2008, 9:30 AM
Hello turners,

I've been on this forum for a few discussions on lathes. Did't really know where else to go for this question since all my pals are here. I just bought a sawmill and have been pulling cypress logs from the river. Question is, I don't know how much cypress wood is selling for by the BF (rough cut only). I've heard .85 cents per BF. I've heard $3.25 per BF. I've heard $4+ per BF. I have some red cedar too and not sure what to charge per BF on that either. Anyone have an idea on the expected price of these species? Or maybe a website that keeps the current going prices?
Any help would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duane

Harvey M. Taylor
06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Duane,
with these questions and comments I am only trying to be helpful. Seems to me you have the cart before the horse. You say you just bought a sawmill. Good choice if you are young. Then you say you are pulling cypress from the river. That has to take some expensive eqpt. what with winches, material handling and hauling eqpt.plus something to do the pulling.Then, hauling it to the sawmill. That is taking time away from the sawmill, which has to be pretty expensive. The logs in the river are there because the trees have died who knows how long ago. You dont say what the condition of the wood is, but I'll bet, mostly not usable.
I respectfully suggest that you forget the cypress and concentrate on the wood that is more accessible till you begin showing a profit, then ,you are on your own.What if the cypress, in its present condition is worth only $.50 a bd, ft.Then what? Unless you have a substantial income othewrwise, I would think twice or three times before investing all that effort in an unknown outcome of revenue. Again, I am only trying to be of help and not harm. Max

TYLER WOOD
06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I think most of the price issue will depend on the figure shown in the cypress, and if it is actually in good condition. i have turned a couple of blanks of cypress that the figure was probably the most fugures wood I have seen except for burls. I would readily have paid $15 for a 12"x12"x2" blank. Luckily I got an entire table top for free. Got 5 blanks out of it. But I would immagine if I was to try and buy it at a wood dealer, maybe 7-8 per bd ft.

Duane Broussard
06-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Max,

I certainly appreciate your response. Looking ahead is always a good idea. I work full time on another job. The sawmill is "additional" income slash hobby, but mostly hobby. The cypress is "pulled" out of the river by a relatively simple and cost effective manner. They are usually "floaters" or "banked" timber right on the edge of the water. I latch on with a rope, and since they float, I tow them to the boat launch where I have a 30 foot flatbed that is backed down into the water. I float the logs up close to the neck of the trailer, tie them off and drive right off with them. Tractor hoist from trailer right onto mill. I don't pick just any cypress, but cut into them on one end to see the quality. It is true that it is hard to tell the full quality until they are lifted completely out of the water, but usually, the pre-cut test with the chainsaw out on the water says alot before towing. So the lumber is average to excellent in most cases. This cypress will not be used for turning bowls, but for large projects or furniture. Thus the reason I am looking for a reasonable price I can put on it. Thanks again for your advice.

Harvey M. Taylor
06-26-2008, 2:06 PM
Hi Duane,
glad I could help. Good luck on your new venture.Kinda wish I was young again to try something like that. I am 81 yrs. young. Max

Dick Strauss
06-26-2008, 3:05 PM
Duane,
Kiln dried 4/4 and 8/4 Cypress is in the neighborhood of $2-$2.50/bf here. These are normal boards up to 10-12" wide with no special figure or color.

Wide boards and good figure would usually fetch a premium with hardwoods. I don't know how this would increase the value of your material.

Good luck,
Dick

Duane Broussard
06-26-2008, 3:58 PM
Max.... WOW... 81 yrs young. I solute you. A man can learn alot from the old-timers who have "been there and done that". Anything else you want to share with me, I'm all ears. THANKS!

Now I need an explination on what the meaning of "4/4" or "8/4" means in timber terminology. Someone please explain.
Thanks in advance guys,
Duane

Bill Bolen
06-26-2008, 4:04 PM
Refers to the thickness. 4/4 = 4 quarters of an inch 8/4 is 8 quarters of an inch thick...Bill..

Duane Broussard
06-26-2008, 4:17 PM
Thanks alot Bill

Duane Broussard
06-26-2008, 4:20 PM
So would 5/4 = 1.25 inches thick? And the 8/4... that would equal to 2 inches thick right? Sorry for the dumb questions... just learning here.
Thanks!

Bruce Pennell
06-26-2008, 4:28 PM
"So would 5/4 = 1.25 inches thick? And the 8/4... that would equal to 2 inches thick right? Sorry for the dumb questions... just learning here."

Yes you got it, I ask the same question a years or so ago. It's great learning new things. Good luck with your new business....Bruce

Bob Hallowell
06-26-2008, 4:37 PM
Hello turners,

I've been on this forum for a few discussions on lathes. Did't really know where else to go for this question since all my pals are here. I just bought a sawmill and have been pulling cypress logs from the river. Question is, I don't know how much cypress wood is selling for by the BF (rough cut only). I've heard .85 cents per BF. I've heard $3.25 per BF. I've heard $4+ per BF. I have some red cedar too and not sure what to charge per BF on that either. Anyone have an idea on the expected price of these species? Or maybe a website that keeps the current going prices?
Any help would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duane

Have a look a www.woodfinder.com (http://www.woodfinder.com) you can do a search to find your local prices on all ypes of wood. I think you shouls post this question on the general forum as you will prolly get more help.

Bob

Duane Broussard
06-26-2008, 4:56 PM
Hey thanks Bob!

Rob Bourgeois
06-29-2008, 2:13 PM
Be careful where you pick up your logs, just make sure no one is watching. ;) By law if the log is "grounded" its the land owners. If your on state lands you may get ticketed by the state but its doubtful.

I have picked up a few smallish floaters(3-4 to branches) in the basin and have turned a small ornament which blew up during hollowing. It had great staining in it so you should have some great wood.

Check places like Acadian Hardwoods in Hammond for prices. Theres a big dealer in Monroe but the name escapes me right now. I remember cypress being in the buck a BF range for 3/4 dressed when I was looking last year for my dads hurricane shutters.

Frank Hasty
07-14-2008, 9:10 PM
For what it's worth:
I live in SE Georgia which is cypress country. I just had 270ft of 6 ft. high cypress fence installed across the back of my lot for $2700, I could have either treated pine or cypress for that price.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did...........I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain

Richard Madison
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Duane,
You should probably send me a couple six inch thick slabs to test for you and see if it is any good. If it is ok, then that $2.50/bdft might be reasonable for others. No charge for the testing, of course.

Seriously, some good references mentioned above to help you determine an appropriate price. Good luck with your new venture, and saw safely.