PDA

View Full Version : Using Google Maps to Quote Jobs?

Scott Shepherd
06-26-2008, 8:52 AM
Anyone else using Google Maps to help quote jobs? They have a feature called "Street View" and you can actually "walk or drive" down the street and see things. I had a call this morning from someone about 90 miles away and they wanted a sign made and installed in front of their building. Instead of driving 180 miles@ $4.00 a gallon, I typed the address into google maps, hit street view, and looked at the location. I could see the existing sign on the building, I could see the location for the new sign, I could see the power lines, Maple trees (root problems), and I could even see some of the dirt, which was clearly hard packed, dry dirt that I wouldn't want to dig by hand.

It's allowing me to quote a much more accurate quote without having to waste money driving all over town.

I don't know how the heck they do it, and I feel violated that that information in available, but darned if it isn't useful. I'm not sure if it covers everywhere, or only a few places, but it's worth a look.

Go to google maps and use the "Street View" Button.

Very cool.

John Dodson
06-26-2008, 8:59 AM
I've checked out street view, it is a very cool feature. Google has camera crews that drive around with car roof mounted cameras and they stop every so many feet and shoot a 360 degree photo. They were apparently sued by someone who was recognizable in one of their photos and must mow blot out peoples faces. Sign installation - what a great application. Amazing.

Joe Pelonio
06-26-2008, 9:49 AM
If it's not worth the gas to drive, I'll ask them to send me a digital picture and measurements. While Seattle is available on Google Maps Street View, our city and many others I do work in are not, at least yet.

Kevin Potter
06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi, I'm new here. Been in the sign business for 29 yrs. I use the google maps help my installers find the job site as well as acquaint them with the area. It also helps by letting me see what the area is like & any problems I may encounter. You can't always count on the sales people to get you that info. I can see this as being a very useful tool.
As far as invasion of privacy, it's not much different than the city directory, phonebook, the registrar of deeds or any one driving down a public street with a camera.