PDA

View Full Version : Mobility "shoes" for my Grizzly 12" Jointer/Planer

Bret Leishman
06-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Decided to go minimal in the design for my Jointer/Planer mobility. Legs are open so I used 1/4" steel plates with tabs attached to allow me to install Great Lakes Casters (under $15 each). Now have swivel caster mobility and easy locking/leveling with no massive welded steel frame and outboard casters to stub myself on. Attached picture shows Great Lakes Casters on my bandsaw too (these bolted into existing holes). By the way, I am very pleased with the performance and value of these Grizzlies.

Dewey Torres
06-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Bret,
I am curious to know how stable you found the casters to be when locked... especially on the jointer.

Dewey

Bret Leishman
06-26-2008, 1:01 AM
The design of these casters allows you to lower a large rubber leg using the knurled knob in the middle of the caster. Only light hand pressure is needed. The intent is not to raise the machine but to stabilize it. This results in the machine being locked in position and stabilized. Very effective.

Dewey Torres
06-26-2008, 1:15 AM
Hey Bret I just looked at the web site... there are tons of choices there. How do I find the model you used? :o

Dewey

Bret Leishman
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
At greatlakescaster.com, only one choice in their "leveling casters" category. It is their item LV-1710-NYP-S-M12, a 1.75" stabilizing caster. This is a knock off of the Zambus design. If you check out their site you can get more info and options at a higher price.

Jim Becker
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Nice job, Bret.

Brian Tax
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I have been looking at that same J/P and was wondering how to make it mobile. Did you weld the plates yourself? One other question, have you jointed any long stock on it, how did that work? I think that I will order some of those casters for my Rikon 14" Deluxe Bans Saw.

Don Abele
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Bret, when I was comparison shopping for J/P's I called Grizzly and asked about a mobile base. They said none was available and didn't recommend one. Part of it was that lower stand is curved on the front, the other was the weight (per them).

I knew that was BS and I'd just weld up a base to fit. But you - you have come up with an excellent solution. Congrats.

Be well,

Doc

Les Zielinski
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Bret, I ordered this type of casters from them about 8 mths ago. At that time there was more than one model available (web site shows only one).
Call before you order and ask if they have more than one type available now.
Casters work fine. I will be ordering more.

Russ Massery
06-26-2008, 9:03 PM
Bret, is your bandsaw open on the bottom? I see that you used the existing holes. If so did mount the casters on the edge of the corners? Or did add a plate to the bottom of the saw? I have a G0513X and the same casters still haven't installed them. Because I'm debating on how to mount them. If you could pass along some incite it would be appreciated.

Russ

Bret Leishman
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Russ, my bandsaw is the G0636X which has square tubing frame for base. Therefore I was able to use existing holes used to bolt the saw to the delivery pallet. In the case of the G0513X, If the frame is open I would probably try something similar to the plates I used on my J/P. The tabs I welded on the sides of the plates allowed me to bolt the plates to the sides otherwise you would probably need to weld the plate in place.