PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023 SL table saw - left tilt better/safer?

Daniel Hillmer
06-25-2008, 7:39 PM
Hi,

I’m thinking about purchasing the Grizzly 1023 SL table saw. This is a left tilt, I have never owned a table saw before, is left tilt really safer than right tilt? Would I be limited in what I could do with a left tilt compared to the right tilt?

Am I better off going with a left considering I have never owned a ts before?

Thanks for any input.

Bob Rufener
06-25-2008, 8:03 PM
There are millions of saws out there that are right tilts. They are good saws. The advantage of a left tilt is that if you ripping an angle by tilting your blade, the left tilt blade will not pinch or bind against the fence as the blade is angled away from the fence. Helps eliminate getting a piece of wood hurled back at you at about 90 MPH. I think you will be happy with a Grizzly 1023 saw. If I was to order a new one, I'd probably order a lift tilt.

Daniel Hillmer
06-25-2008, 8:26 PM
Thanks much! Just curious, what do you think of the SawStop table saw, billed as the safest table saw in the world. Is it worth the extra money?

Incidentally, a sales guy at Grizzly I spoke with last week hinted that there has been talk at grizzly about coming out with a saw stop type of table saw, yet he said he has no idea if or when they will bring it on the market.

John Keeton
06-25-2008, 8:35 PM
I love my 1023 left tilt! My previous saw was a right tilt, and there were many times I wish I had not done that. But, 20 years ago, in the price range I bought in, choices were limited. You will be pleased with your choice.

Daniel Hillmer
06-25-2008, 8:42 PM
Thanks much!

That brings me to another question. I noticed that this saw does not come equipped with a Riving knife. Is it possible to retrofit this saw with such, or does Grizzly offer an option to add a riving knife?

glenn bradley
06-25-2008, 9:09 PM
Thanks much!

That brings me to another question. I noticed that this saw does not come equipped with a Riving knife. Is it possible to retrofit this saw with such, or does Grizzly offer an option to add a riving knife?

First I have to say that you are very brave asking this question ;-) Do a search and you will probably find more than you need. I often joke that saws come in left tilt and wrong tilt but it really is a matter of preference. I prefer to be safer (oh, I'm gonna get it for that) and have a left tilt. Seriously though; both are safe if used safely.

If a trunnion could support a riving knife, the manufacturer would offer one. Unfortunately, a riving knife is not an after market item.

Prashun Patel
06-25-2008, 9:12 PM
Not currently possible to easily retrofit saws to add riving knives.

The Sawstop is an amazing saw. What price for safety?

Jim O'Dell
06-25-2008, 9:14 PM
The 1023 is not retrofitable (I see spell check doesn't like that word:eek:). At least not at this time. Probably not at all. Grizzly does make a 10" with a riving knife. IIRC about 1650.00. You can check it out on their web site. I don't remember the model #. It has been talked about here in the last month.
If you knew you were going to add a sliding table on to the saw, then the right tilt would be the better bet. If not, most seem to prefer the left tilt for the reasons given by others above, but not all people by any stretch. Like most things, it's a preference built on what they were taught on, or who they were taught by. I personally like the left tilt. Jim.

Peter Quinn
06-25-2008, 9:27 PM
There is nothing safe about a TS, right or left tilt. A saw stop will stop you from cutting off your finger or hand, but it won't necessarily stop you from taking a kick back to the teeth. Education is your best safety mechanism, as not all 'accidents' are random, some are in fact quite predictable. If you ever do a set up with your table saw that sets off that little "danger" bell in the back of your head, stop and listen to it, don't ever be in a rush with that tool. If that danger bell never goes off, it should be.

My cabinet saw is left tilt, which I prefer for 99% of what I use it for. A riving knife is perhaps, maybe, possibly marginally safer than a good splitter, but not IMO worth jumping through hoops for. I use a beismeyer after market splitter, some make zero clearance inserts with splitters built in. If you want a riving knife you should really buy a saw which includes one to achieve that feature as it is not a simple bolt in part but a different approach to raising the blade.

Good luck with your purchase and safe woodworking.

Robert Payne
06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I've had my Grizzly G1023 SLX for four years and it is a great saw. I agree with others that proper usage is the most important factor -- but first, be sure that the saw is set up correctly. I.e., blade parallel to the miter slots, fence parallel to the blade, and use a sharp, good quality blade (I use a Forrest WWII full kerf). I use a set of Yellow Board Buddies mounted on a strip of hardwood on the center of my Shop Fox Classic fence to protect against kickback and I always use push sticks to avoid my hands getting any closer than 4" to the blade. It is a great saw.

Daniel Hillmer
06-25-2008, 10:41 PM
A riving knife is perhaps, maybe, possibly marginally safer than a good splitter, but not IMO worth jumping through hoops for.

Can anyone confirm or deny that underwriter’s laboratory is requiring all manufacturers of table saws to have a riving knife on all table saws sold in the US by Jan 2009? I remember reading this somewhere recently.

Mark Carlson
06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Daniel,

Your asking about left tilt and riving knives, so I would suggest looking at the General 650R, Saw Stop and PM 2000. I think the 1023 is a good saw but if you can afford one with a riving knife get one of these 3.

My take on the left versus right debate. A right tilt saw is as safe as a left tilt if you move the fence over to the left hand side of the blade when making a bevel cut. I've never actually seen anyone with a right tilt saw ever do that so get the left tilt if buying new.

Have fun getting your new saw, whatever you decide.

~mark