PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 390 Sander

Mike Henderson
06-25-2008, 5:59 PM
Anyone have any comments on the new Porter Cable 390 ROS (http://www.deltaportercable.com/lpsander/)? It hasn't started shipping yet. The one feature I really like is that it has a brake on it - so I assume when you turn it off, you can set it down immediately without it walking all over.

The bad part is that it looks like it's going to be expensive - I see some pre-order prices at about $200.

Are there any other 5" random orbit sanders that have a brake on them?

Mike

[Update: I saw a review which said the price is expected to be $129]

Mike Heidrick
06-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Looks sweet. Amazon has an email sign up for notification of when it is available. I believe I watched some videos on it on the PC website.

I am hooked on Festool sanders now though.

Brad Townsend
06-26-2008, 7:18 AM
The one feature I really like is that it has a brake on it - so I assume when you turn it off, you can set it down immediately without it walking all over.

I also like that you can apparently hook a 1" or 1 1/2" vac hose directly to it without an adapter.

Bruce Page
06-26-2008, 8:12 AM
This is the first I've heard about it. It looks pretty nice.
Wish it were a 6" tho.

John Callahan
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
It looks very promising but I'll reserve judgement till I get to try one. I have an ancient 333 that has taken a lickin' and keeps on tickin' but it's starting to get tired. Looked at the 343- it's ergonomics don't work for these arthritic old paws and hope the 390's will be better.

jason lambert
06-26-2008, 1:33 PM
I know some one who palyed with it they where telling me about it earler today that they where pretty impressed. The brushless motor is suppose to last much longer than a normal moter. I like the fact that it is really low profile. Looks like festool is pushing people into the higher end tool market.

Mike Wilkins
06-27-2008, 8:03 AM
Have not seen the new one yet, so I will not be in the market for a new one soon. I have had my 5" ROS for over 20 years now and it is still going strong.
Must have been made in the US back then.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-27-2008, 9:04 AM
Looks very, very interesting.
-Jeff :)

Mike Henderson
06-27-2008, 9:59 AM
I know some one who played with it they where telling me about it earlier today that they where pretty impressed. The brushless motor is suppose to last much longer than a normal motor. I like the fact that it is really low profile. Looks like festool is pushing people into the higher end tool market.
For anyone who wants to know how they work, I found this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_motor) on Wikipedia about brushless motors.

Mike

Travis Rassat
06-27-2008, 3:55 PM
I just got an e-mail from Rockler about the latest issue of Woodworker's Journal being available in a digital format. They have a random orbit sander review, which includes the new PC 390.

Here's a link to the online magazine:
http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=273042679&ncc=1