PDA

View Full Version : Custom Stanley 112?

Doug Hobkirk
06-25-2008, 5:41 PM
OK, I am a beginner, I don't know anything. I bought this because it seemed cute and held some promise. It seems to work well. But I don't really know what it is...

The casting says 112, the ad said it was probably created from a broken 112, but the wood handle and smooth edges make me wonder if that's true. Any ideas?

PS - I sharpened the blade to about 600 at 45 D, no micro-bevel, back flattened, and I added no hook. The shavings in the picture are from oak.

Jim Koepke
06-25-2008, 6:00 PM
OK, I am a beginner, I don't know anything. I bought this because it seemed cute and held some promise. It seems to work well. But I don't really know what it is...

The casting says 112, the ad said it was probably created from a broken 112, but the wood handle and smooth edges make me wonder if that's true. Any ideas?

PS - I sharpened the blade to about 600 at 45 D, no micro-bevel, back flattened, and I added no hook. The shavings in the picture are from oak.

It looks like a broken 112 with handles designed with the 12 scraper plane in mind. The 12 does not have the body of wood going over the thread guide. What is holding the handle in place? Do they wiggle or have any play?

Look at the pictures on Blood & Gore and you will see.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num12

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num112

jim

Doug Hobkirk
06-25-2008, 7:35 PM
It looks like a broken 112 with handles designed with the 12 scraper plane in mind. The 12 does not have the body of wood going over the thread guide. What is holding the handle in place? Do they wiggle or have any play?
jim
I had seen the pictures of the #12 but realized the handle was essentially bolted to the top of the body. On this one the handle and body are one-piece, very well fitted (examine pics 2 + 4), and firmly glued (I assume) in place. There is no wiggle.

Is this design inferior to the plane style of a 112?

Jim Koepke
06-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I had seen the pictures of the #12 but realized the handle was essentially bolted to the top of the body. On this one the handle and body are one-piece, very well fitted (examine pics 2 + 4), and firmly glued (I assume) in place. There is no wiggle.

Is this design inferior to the plane style of a 112?

I think it is different, not necessarily inferior. What you have is someone's resurrection of a broken 112.

jim