PDA

View Full Version : Fence Upgrade?

Todd Miranda
06-25-2008, 7:23 AM
I bought a used Craftsman contractors saw model 315.228410 last year and I have never been comfortable with its Align-a-Rip fence system. I have it indicated in with the blade and its square but I'm looking to upgrade and adding to the rip capacity would be a nice bonus. Unfortunately I missed out on the Biesmeyer clearance but the Lowes Delta 36-T30 fence has been on my want list lately. I will upgrade to a cabinet saw eventually so I'm really not looking to spend over $250 on a fence system for my current saw. Anyone mounted this fence on a craftsman zip code saw or any other information about it that may help with my decision?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

scott spencer
06-25-2008, 7:56 AM
Hi Todd - I've had 2 Biesemeyer fences and loved both. At $350-$400 they're on the steep side unless you can find a good deal. To keep under $250, you may be limited to something like a Vega fence or the Delta T2. The Vega isn't much of a compromise compared to the Biese IMO...it's a really nice fence in it's own rite, and has a terrific microadjustment. The T2 is like a "Biese Lite", and is a great value IMO.

I'm currently using a stock 30" Biese commercial fence with the front rail slid over to the right to get 40" rip capacity....easy enough to do with many fence rails.

Good luck!

Dan Bundy
06-25-2008, 8:44 AM
I put a Vega on my older (late 80s/early 90s) Craftsman and have never regretted it.

jerry nazard
06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Todd,

I really like the Uni-fence. Occasionally you will see them on sale for ~$250 or so.

-Jerry

Scott Kilroy
06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Just wondering, what don't you like about the align-a-rip fence? I was lucky enough to pick one up for almost nothing, I recently installed it on my old craftsman saw but haven't used it much. I would really like to know if you had an problems with it that I should look out for.

Brian Smith3
06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
I had one of the zip code saws about 5 years ago. I replaced that fence and rail system with the Ridgid. It's a very nice fence and rail system, I would definitely recommend.

Edit:
I just got the old receipt and it is parts TH1019 ($125) and TH1025 ($79).

Neal Clayton
06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
second the vega or the unifence. unifence is a bit more rugged if you need to primarily cut large stuff, the vegas are easier to finely adjust but both work well and are easy to install.

Clint Winterhalter
06-25-2008, 6:47 PM
I put a Vega on an older Craftsman saw several years ago. It was a very nice fence. I'd do it again. I think I paid $270-ish for it from Rockler.

Good Luck

Clint

Todd Miranda
06-25-2008, 8:20 PM
Just wondering, what don't you like about the align-a-rip fence? I was lucky enough to pick one up for almost nothing, I recently installed it on my old craftsman saw but haven't used it much. I would really like to know if you had an problems with it that I should look out for.

-Limited rip capacity
-Both ends are perfectly square miter slot to blade but middle of the fence has about a .010" bow away from blade
-occasionally the fence will move especially when cutting large sheets (this can be fixed by tightening the clamp to the point you have to apply quite a bit of force to lock it in)

I thank everyone for their input and ideas. Been researching quite a lot and currently am considering the following options;

Delta 36-T30 on sale at Lowe's for $135 +tax
Vega PRO 40 $260 shipped
Vega U50 $260 shipped

I'm going to sleep in it for a few days I think, but right now leaning heavy towards the Vega U50. Is there a huge difference between the Pro/Utility models? I doubt I really need 50" rip capacity but I have plenty of shop space and having that option may come in handy sometime.

Todd

Neal Clayton
06-25-2008, 9:23 PM
I'm going to sleep in it for a few days I think, but right now leaning heavy towards the Vega U50. Is there a huge difference between the Pro/Utility models? I doubt I really need 50" rip capacity but I have plenty of shop space and having that option may come in handy sometime.

Todd

vega states that some of the parts are more rugged on the pro than the utility. not sure if that's actually the case or which parts those are, fwiw i have a pro40 and have no complaints.

glenn bradley
06-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I really liked my Align-a-Rip 30/30. I see there are different models; mine was 30"left and 30"right of the blade. Other than being a bit delicate (aluminum) it functioned great. If your planning on upgrading your saw later, buy a Bies to use now and later and buy your new saw without. My current fence is a Bies Commercial and I love it. Nothing fancy but once adjusted, you never have to touch it.

Homer Faucett
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
-Limited rip capacity
-Both ends are perfectly square miter slot to blade but middle of the fence has about a .010" bow away from blade
-occasionally the fence will move especially when cutting large sheets (this can be fixed by tightening the clamp to the point you have to apply quite a bit of force to lock it in)

I thank everyone for their input and ideas. Been researching quite a lot and currently am considering the following options;

Vega PRO 40 $260 shipped
Vega U50 $260 shipped

Todd

If you don't need the 50" rip capacity, go with the Delta T2 at half the price of the Vega. I had one on my Delta contractor's saw and loved it. I've had a Unifence (hated it), Bies (great fence, but I don't see that it's enough better than the T2 to justify the current going price), and now an Incra TS-LS (love it). I got the Unifence and Bies on the Lowe's blow-outs and sold them to friends after I got to play with them. There's nothing wrong with the T2 unless the 36" capacity is a problem for you. As Scott said, it really is a "Bies lite", and probably the best bang for your buck out of those listed.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have never used a Vega fence.

Frank Drew
06-26-2008, 5:11 AM
If there had been a Nobel Prize category for most improvement in a common item, Biesmeyer would have gotten it, particularly at the time they were introduced; other fences might now be comparable, though.

Danny Thompson
06-26-2008, 8:18 AM
Love my Biese! Transformed the quality of my work.

Loren Hedahl
06-26-2008, 9:24 AM
Most any fence you might get for your contractor saw would also fit a cabinet saw.

So, why not upgrade to your cabinet saw in stages?

Get your fence of choice now, never mind the cost, since it will eventually be moved over to your future cabinet saw.

Then when you sell your old contractor saw, it will have the original fence.

Scott Kilroy
06-26-2008, 9:59 AM
-Limited rip capacity

Vega PRO 40 $260 shipped
Vega U50 $260 shipped

Todd

Thanks for the response. I think I'll wait until I'm ready for a cabinet saw. Regarding your last item about the fence moving. I noticed this as well and I usually clamp a big wood clam to the end of the wings when I'm ripping something big. I was using the fence that came with the saw until about a month ago so the align-a-rip is a major improvement.

glenn bradley
06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Regarding your last item about the fence moving.

I experienced that too. There is an adjustment to tighten the rear rail grip. HTH

Josiah Bartlett
06-26-2008, 6:14 PM
I like the Shop Fox bies clone, if you keep it to the 30" rails instead of the long ones, you can keep it under $250.

Brian Patterson
06-27-2008, 8:46 AM
you could always try to build your own...

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/Hutch/blog/2740