PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Symposium and Eli Avisera

Hilel Salomon
06-25-2008, 6:53 AM
Finally got to meet Bernie in person and he's just as nice, but much younger looking than in SC forum picture. The previous week I had been in Columbia, SC and Eli Avisera came and gave demo's all day Friday, much of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. He's the most dedicated, patient and giving turner I've ever seen. At Richmond, he gave a total of 6 demo's on three subjects, and he was fantastic. Got to meet old friends, make new friends, learn a lot, spend a lot and enjoyed it thoroughly. Among the many was Jimmy Clewes who is very talented and personable. Doug Thompson was there and donated quite a few sets of gouges for the silent auction which I thought was very generous. Anyway, I hope to be alive for the Conn symposium in two years and I'll try for that one.
Hope everyone is well.
Regards, Hilel.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2008, 5:45 PM
Hilel - really wanted to attend this one but it just wasn't to be. Glad to hear you had fun, learned a lot and most importantly - got to spend time with friends! Photos?

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2008, 9:34 PM
Hilel I just made it home to Kansas tonight. Had a great time with the grandkids. It was so nice meeting you and Eli. He is such a giving gentleman. I don't know how else to put it. Thank you for the lunch. I truly appreciate the hospitality. I am hoping the next time down it will be for a couple of weeks and will have more time. The kids kept grandma and I running from sun up to sundown. Anyway great time and thanks again Hilel.

Reed Gray
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
I just got back from seeing Eli up in Portland today at Dale Larson's place. Very interesting person, and I really have to try his tool profiles. Can't argue with his results. He is more artistic than I will ever be, but love his work. He kept me interested for 6 hours. I have to miss his class next week, 2 big shows in 2 weekends, and a mountain of bowls to sand.... I did leave him with a couple of pieces of Mountain Mahogany though.
robo hippy

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2008, 6:54 AM
Well,

I sure wish I could have been there! Meeting all Hilel, Bernie and Eli Avisera. What a treat that would have been!