PDA

View Full Version : Bostitch Pin Nailer grinding tip question

Craig D Peltier
06-25-2008, 1:57 AM
As some of us know the Bostitch 23 gauge nailer doesnt set the pins unless you push hard which then leaves a dent.Even at full max depth and 120psi which sets a 2.5 inch 16 gauge.
I read somewhere about grinding the tip down so it sets it. Has anyone done this?
I was thinking about asking Bostitch what to do.

Denny Rice
06-25-2008, 2:07 AM
I own the same pin nailer....The first one I received from Amazon.com did the same thing. They sent me a replacement and it worked fine for awile then it also started not setting the pins all the way too. I started shooting PC pin nails and the problem got a lot better but started acting up again. I contacted Bostitch and they have a replacement piston driver to fix the problem, they sent it to me free of charge.

John Keeton
06-25-2008, 6:12 AM
Craig, this doesn't help at this point, but the Grex, although more costly, seems to be a much better product. Should the fix that Denny suggested not work and you consider a replacement, I would highly recommend the Grex. I have other Bostich nailers and get good service from them, but went with the Grex for a pin nailer.

Matthew Voss
06-25-2008, 9:39 AM
Craig-

Just belt sand the nose down about 1/32" and it will set the pins just fine.

Craig D Peltier
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I own the same pin nailer....The first one I received from Amazon.com did the same thing. They sent me a replacement and it worked fine for awile then it also started not setting the pins all the way too. I started shooting PC pin nails and the problem got a lot better but started acting up again. I contacted Bostitch and they have a replacement piston driver to fix the problem, they sent it to me free of charge.

Thanks Denny, I assume thats what im getting in the mail from them. She acted like there wasnt a problem with the bostitch 23 gauge nailer. She also asked me what pressure it was set at, I told her 120, she said that was high. I said good then even more it should be setting it. She also didint know why grinding the tip would help. I guess she only knew half of what she was talking about out.

Denny Rice
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
No problem Craig! Bostitch acted the same way when I spoke to them on the phone. There are too many people out there having the same problem with this nailer and Bostitch knows this. I found out about this repair on Amazon.com from someone who left a rating about the nailer and talked about the piston/driver repair Bostitch had for this nailer, it really help my nailer a lot (95% solved anyway).:D