PDA

View Full Version : Plantation Shutters - Prefinish or post assembly?

Russell Tribby
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm nearing the end of my plantation shutter project. I have 9 windows that I'm doing for a co-worker and I'm wondering if I should pre-finish all the parts. Mike Forsman built a great looking set that he posted on here and he has told me that he did all the finishing pre-assembly. I haven't assembled any of them yet and I currently have two coats of primer on everything but the louvers. All told I have about 360 louvers to do. I've primed the ends but I haven't done anything to the faces. Should I just bite the bullet and spray them before I assemble the shutters? Has anyone who built shutters done post assembly finishing? If so, any recommendations?

Robert LaPlaca
06-25-2008, 5:43 PM
I'm nearing the end of my plantation shutter project. I have 9 windows that I'm doing for a co-worker and I'm wondering if I should pre-finish all the parts. Mike Forsman built a great looking set that he posted on here and he has told me that he did all the finishing pre-assembly. I haven't assembled any of them yet and I currently have two coats of primer on everything but the louvers. All told I have about 360 louvers to do. I've primed the ends but I haven't done anything to the faces. Should I just bite the bullet and spray them before I assemble the shutters? Has anyone who built shutters done post assembly finishing? If so, any recommendations?

Russell,

I pre-finished some of the shutter parts for instance; the louvers, control bars and the inside edges of the rails and styles. The remainder of the rails and styles were just pre-primed, then assembled and put the finish coats of paint on the rails and styles. The 'boss lady' was happy with the results and the shutters really help with the heat gain in this room, as the room faces the south west.. Hope I never see another plantation shutter in my shop :-)

Russell Tribby
06-25-2008, 9:19 PM
"Hope I never see another plantation shutter in my shop :-)"

I'll have to echo that statement. I have to say that these aren't difficult to build just ridiculously time consuming. I've spent the last two days doing nothing but spraying the primer on all the parts. I'm going to assemble one tomorrow and put the top coat on it to see how it comes out. If if turns out okay I'll do all 9 windows that way. If it isn't what I want I guess I'll just have to spray everything before assembly.