PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a decent straight line or articulated cordless screwdriver

Rich Engelhardt
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Hello,
Any suggestions?
I don't want the pistol type like the Bosch or the Dremel.

Travis Rassat
06-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure which pistol type Bosch you mean. I just got a Bosch Litheon 10.8 volt PS10 i-Driver a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS10-2

I absolutely love it. At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the ergonomics of it, but it feels very solid and the trigger is well-placed where I can hold the i-Driver in some pretty odd ways and still have good trigger control. I haven't touched my other cordless drill/driver since I got it.

You can get the kit with a soft case, 2 batteries and a charger for around $130 online. To sweeten the deal, they also happen to have a deal going on right now that if you buy a Bosch Litheon tool, you can get a free Litheon pocket driver (which might happen to be the one you don't want!) by mail-in rebate.
http://www.boschtools.com/freepocketdriver/Pages/default.aspx

Brandon Hoye
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=TD020DSEW

David G Baker
06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Brandon,
I purchased the Makita a few months ago and as an impact screw driver it is great but for normal screwdriver work I have a problem controlling the speed and found that I like the older regular straight line screwdriver type for general work.

Curt Harms
06-25-2008, 2:35 AM
The Bosch PS10 is a nice unit. The 600 RPM max speed limits drilling but the speed control at low RPMs is quite good. The Li ion batteries seem good about not self discharging. It'll drive a 2 1/2" deck screw into PT wood without a pilot hole so power is good.

HTH

Curt

Mike Wilkins
06-25-2008, 9:31 AM
Another vote here for the Bosch I-Driver. I got it just for the ease in which you can get into tight spaces. Although I rarely use this function, the ability to articulate the head (swivel) is a nice feature also.
I think Makita and Milwaukee also sell a similar driver, but I am not sure if they have the Lithium batteries.

jason lambert
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I have the bosch also so far no issues, it is nice and reliable. I can't say I really like it or hate it but it does the job. The electronic tork takes a little getting use to and the slow start up. Not that it is bad just not what I am use to. I would buy it again if I lost it.

Greg Karol
06-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I have the dewalt DW920K and love it. I got it on amazon for a steal a few months ago. I love using this more than my xrp drill for small stuff and would highly recommend it.

John Sanford
06-25-2008, 12:15 PM
The Milwaukee electric screwdriver is the tool of choice in a few factory settings I've seen hereabouts (slot machines). They may have a lithium version by now. The AEG is the same tool, not surprising since AEG is a European company and the Milwaukee is (or at least was) made in Germany... :cool:

Steve Clardy
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Another Bosch user here :D

Jerry McFalls
06-25-2008, 5:29 PM
I agree with Greg, I own the DeWalt DW920K-2 Heavy-Duty 1/4" 7.2V Cordless Two-Position Screwdriver Kit and it is everything I've ever wanted in a screwdriver. Battery life is good and has 80 in-lbs. of torque. :)

Craig McCormick
06-25-2008, 5:39 PM
The DeWalt will easily break in half if dropped on the hinge. Hinge breakage is not covered under warranty.

Craig McCormick

Bruce Page
06-25-2008, 7:17 PM
I've been happy with my DeWalt 7.2v driver.

Ed Kilburn
06-25-2008, 9:15 PM
I've had my Bosch Model PS10-2 for over a year, and it has become my favorite tool. Three of my friend's have bought one after using mine when doing projects together.

Rich Engelhardt
06-29-2008, 8:41 AM
:rolleyes:
Hello,
Well after looking at all of them, I went with the Dewalt 7.2V.
The Bosch was a bit on the bulky side for what I wanted & the Makita, while the right size, just didn't seem "right". Plus @ 177# of torque, it was both over and under powered - for what I'm after.

I also picked up a B&D 2.6V cordless rechargeable @ ACE. ~$17.50 minus a $5.00 off coupon. It replaces the B&D one that gave out on me a week ago, after I replaced the batteries in it - 4AA Alkaline.

W/ three rentals, plus my own house, there's hundreds of times I need & use a low powered. lightweight, small one-hand, electric screwdriver.
Replacing deadbolts & doorknobs is a biggie.
Adjusting screws on European hinges is another.

The "go figure"?
Well, after ordering the DeWalt and putting a charge in the B&D, I picked up the dead B&D to toss it - and low and behold - the thing had come back to life!
I used it most of yesterday afternoon.
Last Sunday morning, I took that thing completly apart - I mean completely - trying to find out why it quit. I slapped it back together, pushed the button to see if it worked - and - nada.
I set it off to the side and it sat there all week long.

Wierd.