PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Advice

Larry Borris
06-24-2008, 8:32 PM
Need some advice:
I happen to get a great deal on a used Delta 50-853, 3HP, dual bag dust collector and I need some help in deciding what to do with it. My long term plan was to build a cyclone, but having the 50-853 might change this. The unit will generate 2100 cfm (per spec). I was wondering, if I upgrade the bags to canister filters, will it be as good as a cyclone in collecting dust. If not, will the motor and fan be enough to use for the cyclone build (seems like a waste, if the collector can come close in doing the job). My work machines are: 10”cabinet saw, 8” jointer, 12” planer Parks, 18”&14” band saws, 6”x48”/12” disc sander, 12” lathe, & router table. I’m currently using a HF 2hp collector w/4” piping, which I know will have to be replaced (works ok, but not great).
Appreciate your inputs.
Thanks

Alan Schaffter
06-24-2008, 9:27 PM
Upgrading to canisters is not nearly as good as a cyclone. Remember, the purpose of a cyclone is to separate the dust and chips from the air so the filter(s) does not get clogged which will greatly reduce suction efficiency. An added benefit of a cyclone is that it makes it easier to collect and dispose of the dust and chips. A 3 hp blower assuming it has a 12" and hopefully larger impeller, will work fine with most cyclones.

Mike Heidrick
06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
I would give it a try. You may be suprised how well it works as is!!

David Giles
06-25-2008, 9:53 AM
First, welcome to SMC! Lots of good people with good information reside here.

A three HP dust collector would probably suffice for well equipped workshop. A cyclone is best, but "best" is not always required. Suggestions are:

- install 6" duct and 6" ports at each machine. This maximizes the air flow at the point of dust generation. And you don't have to think about sizing different drops and what's the vertical flow velocity and will dust buildup in the run and .... Just go big and be done with it.

- put the DC outside. You don't mention your location, but if you can live with the disadvantages of putting the DC outside, the advantages are more shop space, less noise in the work area, no fine dust, etc. If you live in Maine or Minnesota, you need a return air duct which defeats some of the advantages.

Questions of bags vs canisters are moot with outside locations. Heck, take the top off altogether and gain some more air flow.

- Canisters are better for fine dust collection, but they seem to plug more and that reduces air flow. If you are inside, address the fine dust collection issue somehow (overhead air cleaner, leaving the DC on longer, etc).

- Install Phil Thien's baffle plate in the DC throat. It makes a big difference in the collection efficiency.

Overdesign on the big issues and ignore the rest.

michael osadchuk
06-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with David Giles' recommendations.......
one modification to his suggestions would be to locate the
dust collector within the shop but duct the exhaust (and the fine dust particles) outside: again, a significant gain of an "inch or two" of static pressure air flow because of no bag/top filter........
....this mod of exhausting outside generates a lot of discussion about loss of heat, danger if you have a combustion base heating system in the house; my sense is that the loss of heat is typically not going to be an issue (and I live a bit north of Toronto, Canada and I plan to exhaust the fine particles outside without no complicated heat exchange/return of air to the workshop) but the danger issue if you have a combustion based heating system needs to be thought through

....do read the earlier dust collection threads in this page of the website for good insights, examples of installations

good luck

michael

Alan Schaffter
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
David raises some good points, the best is to put the DC outside!

The ideal (as recommended by Bill Pentz), if your climate is not extreme, is put the DC outside and vent directly- from the cyclone- no filter of any kind. The chips and most of the dust will be separated by the cyclone and the air and little dust just released into the atmosphere- if the cyclone is designed and working properly, very little dust will be released. No filters to clog and create back pressure.

Larry Borris
06-25-2008, 7:05 PM
Thanks Guys

I don’t have the option to locate outside (would drive my neighbor’s nuts). I think I’ll just use it as is, but I will need some better bags (not 1 micron). If it doesn't work out I can always use the motor/fan for a cyclone. I just have to may sure I can adapt to what-ever I put in for piping.

David Freed
06-25-2008, 8:36 PM
Thanks Guys

I think I’ll just use it as is, but I will need some better bags (not 1 micron).

Check this site for better bags.
http://americanfabricfilter.com/ (http://americanfabricfilter.com/)