PDA

View Full Version : Replacement power cord w/out a plug...

Michael Donahue
06-24-2008, 7:12 PM
Hey folks! I found a closeout deal on a 3 base 2 1/4 HP Dewalt router kit at my local borg for $135 and couldn't pass it up. I came to find out when I brought it home though that it had no power cord. The guy I talked to at Dewalt was very friendly and sent me a replacement which I received in under a week. It turns out though that the cord is short and doesn't have the plug!

I'm no electrician and the extent of my experience in that field involved replacing a few wall receptacles and a light switch. Can I just get a plug and attach it to this cord, or have some one do it professionally? Or should I call Dewalt and wait for another cord?

I'm itching to fire up this router so I could use some advice. Thanks!:cool:

Randy Cohen
06-24-2008, 8:33 PM
you should have no trouble wiring in your own.

Kevin Arceneaux
06-24-2008, 8:35 PM
Buy a quality plug and do it yourself. IIRC, Dewalt's are double insulated so you do not have the 3 prong plug. Though I would go and look at one on the shelf to double check before I buy the plug.

Jim Becker
06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
That looks somewhat like the pigtail for the D-Handle base...perhaps they sent you the wrong part. The "real" power cord for the DW618 is generously long and has both ends intact. ;)

Denny Rice
06-25-2008, 1:26 AM
I agree with the other post, the plug you received looks like it is the plug for the D base only. The other power cord for the plunge and fixed base should have been much longer 24-36 inches long. I personally have found these longer cords to be a pain and get in the way alot of the times,I cut mine to about 12" long and put an aftermarket plug on it. If you do not want to wait, I would go to a local hardware store and buy a cord and plug and wire it up myself.

Scott Long
06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I had to do the same thing when I bought mine at the borg on closeout.

Just give dewalt a call back and tell them the at the previous plug that they have sent you is the pigtail for the d-handle attachment. When I had to order mine I had to tell the girl it was the LONG cord and not the short one.

Denny Rice
06-25-2008, 9:38 PM
I had to do the same thing when I bought mine at the borg on closeout.

Just give dewalt a call back and tell them the at the previous plug that they have sent you is the pigtail for the d-handle attachment. When I had to order mine I had to tell the girl it was the LONG cord and not the short one.

Isn't it sad in todays society we have people on the other end of the phone that don't know the machines and tools they are selling! LOL:cool: