PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Knives from Global Tooling?

Matt Meiser
06-24-2008, 6:56 PM
I've seen references to Global Tooling before. Knives for my jointer and planer are close to 1/2 of the cost of Hartville. Makes me wonder about the quality though. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html

Rick Fouts
06-24-2008, 7:56 PM
I bought a set of knives for my 16" Jet planer and they are as good if not better than the set that came on the machine. Their price was a lot better than the Jet price too.

Bruce Wrenn
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
The posts you see about Global Tooling, are any of them bad? People are quicker to complain, than to praise. I have been more than just happy with the knives I got from Global. I did receive one knife that was nicked. Called them and they sent me a replacement. With freight rates being what they are, I would recommend that you buy two sets at a time. Shipping is almost the same for two sets as for one.

Matt Meiser
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'd remember seeing links for them and comments on price, but really no comments on the quality. I just placed an order since I'll be reassembling my jointer in about a week. The planer is further out, but I figured I might as well get them in the same order.

Tom Hargrove
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I bought a set of jointer knives, and am very happy with them. I will buy from them again.

Russ Massery
06-25-2008, 6:35 PM
Matt, There knives are made of T-1. which is far superior to M-2 most manufacturers use. They hold an edge much longer. I also highly recommend Global tooling.

Matt Meiser
06-25-2008, 7:34 PM
I got an email from them this afternoon with a tracking number. I saw they were in Oregon, so I requested Priority mail so that I would get them hopefully Saturday instead of the week or so that UPS would take.

Bruce Wrenn
06-25-2008, 8:19 PM
Mine were shipped with the post office. Had them in four days from shipping. I'm on the east coast. It takes UPS a week to get me some bearings from Memphis TN. Their trucks are parked on the weekend.

Dana Vogel
06-26-2008, 7:19 AM
I bought a set of carbide tipped 8" jointer knives that were of poor quality. They were warped or wavy when looking down their edges and the edge was not flat (.020"), looked like they were made in a chinamens back yard open barn.

Steve Sawyer
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Matt, There knives are made of T-1. which is far superior to M-2 most manufacturers use. They hold an edge much longer.

Does this cause any issue in getting them sharpened?

Russ Massery
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
No they sharpen as easily as any other tool steel. Being a machinist I grind my my own at work.;)

Douglas Brummett
06-27-2008, 2:22 PM
I purchased 2 sets of blades for my jointer. I can't comment on how long they will last, but they were sharp and in good condition. Also the company was very easy to work with. I would do business with them again. :D

Matt Meiser
06-27-2008, 8:23 PM
They showed up in the mail today. They look pretty much like any other knives I've seen. One did seem to have a slight burr on it so I'll take a stone to them real quick before installation

Steve Flavin001
06-27-2008, 9:31 PM
installing them now. So, while i haven't used them yet or Global tooling, I am comfortable - I bought them from my local professional saw/carbide shop and was told the same as Russ, that they are superior to OEM knives. I have extensive experience with this saw shop owner and rely on his recommendations.

Harley Reasons
06-28-2008, 8:11 AM
This thread came along at a good time. I was getting ready to order a set of Freud C400's for my Ridgid JP0610 that cost $20. + shipping. I ordered 2 sets of the T-1's for $35. including the shipping.
Hopefully the blades will be good bang for the buck.

Matt Meiser
06-28-2008, 3:28 PM
BTW, I didn't even think to look there but I noticed today that Holbren (http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=661) sells T1 knives at a an even better price. The knives I ordered would have been $45.82 + shipping with the SMC10 discount code.

Harley Reasons
06-30-2008, 4:25 PM
Got my the shipping notice today for the two sets of knives I ordered. Should have them in a few days since they're coming USPS Priority.

Monte Katzenberger
02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
I bought a set of carbide tipped 8" jointer knives that were of poor quality. They were warped or wavy when looking down their edges and the edge was not flat (.020"), looked like they were made in a chinamens back yard open barn.

Did you get these from Global Tooling? All we get from Global are cutter heads for our Weinig 6 head moulder and knife stock. The reason I originally sought this company out is because I didn't want to spend $400 on one cutter head so I decided to try out the ones made by Titan that Global distributes. I was wary because these cutter heads were only $170 (a little less than half price) but I am extremely satisfied with the quality, the only difference is that the Titan heads only have 2 set screws per knife instead of Weinig's 3. When I got the Titan heads they performed every bit as well as the Weinig heads. And as far as the knife stock we get from global, we have tried many different varieties of M3 uncoated knife stock, but when I decided to see how much better the coated knife stock works, I decided to go with the most expensive one. The one we got was from Global, and it's called "Endurance Super-Run". We nearly DOUBLED the number of lineal feet we could process by spending about twice as much on knife stock...but the REAL savings is from not having to sharpen knives as often, which takes 2 - 3 man hours to do per pair of heads...and there is always the fact that we are more productive...it's SO NICE being able to have almost twice the throughput on our moulder.

Back to your original statement, have you talked with John at Global Tooling about your poor quality knives? It has been my experience that he usually bends over backwards to make sure his customers are happy. I have nothing but pleasant things to say about Global Tooling, but that's just from my experience over the last 6 months. Best regards!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Monte,

This thread is 9 years old.

Art Mann
02-01-2017, 10:02 PM
I have used two sets of Global 6 inch jointer knives. The cost is less than sending a dull set out to be sharpened. I finally got a fixture for sharpening my own so I haven't bought any more but those are still in service.

Monte Katzenberger
02-20-2017, 1:06 PM
Hah! I did not see that. Thanks.

Mel Fulks
02-20-2017, 1:27 PM
[QUOTE=Russ Massery;879264]Matt, There knives are made of T-1. which is far superior to M-2 most manufacturers use.".....,,,,,,,, T1 is a good steel ,and M2 is good .But it is not true that most manufacturers use M 2. They use a "semi high speed steel"
With "same hardness as M2" its low grade and the cause of a lot of tear-out even when "sharp". Magazine experts have been complicit in this