PDA

View Full Version : Soapstone wood stoves

Jay Jolliffe
06-24-2008, 6:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting one to heat a 2,000 sq/ft house. If you have one anything I should know ahead of time. Pros-Cons or a comparison between cast iron & soapstone......

Steve Clardy
06-24-2008, 8:32 PM
If I remember correctly, Dennis Peacock [a member here] got one a year or two ago.

John Shuk
06-24-2008, 8:39 PM
They look very nice. I would honestly think that it should be a matter of personal preference which you choose. I'd find it hard to believe that if you run it properly you would notice a big difference in the performance of a well designed cast iron stove or a similar quality soap stone stove.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
I had one when I lived in Maine.

It was nice, pretty too.

Getting it in was a bit of a chore cause it's large and HEAVY~!!

Greg Cole
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Another OTF topic striking my Vermont roots. Soapstone stoves are a-ok and easily comparable to the cast irons.... yup they are heavy but once you get'em nice n hot, they radiate an awful nice even radiant heat.

Cheers.
Greg

Kyle Kraft
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Check these out. I don't own one but I spent a couple of hours talking with a sales rep and had the opportunity to see several in operation.

http://www.tulikivi.com/index.html

jeremy levine
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Check these out. I don't own one but I spent a couple of hours talking with a sales rep and had the opportunity to see several in operation.

http://www.tulikivi.com/index.html
Unreal
My family spent a good deal of time looking at their catalog, the reality set in.

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I got one and I LOVE THIS STOVE..!!!!!!!!

Nice even heat, long heat retention, and uses far less wood than previous experiences with other heating methods and stoves.

Did I mention that I love this stove?? :)

Steve Clardy
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I got one and I LOVE THIS STOVE..!!!!!!!!

Nice even heat, long heat retention, and uses far less wood than previous experiences with other heating methods and stoves.

Did I mention that I love this stove?? :)

So how do you like it Dennis? :D:D:D

Brent Ring
06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I know a friend in Tallinn, Estonia, who has one and he loves his. His came from Finland, but it is the same type of stone, and he reduced his electric heat bill by 2/3rds.

Jay Jolliffe
06-25-2008, 5:24 PM
Well....We bought one today before I saw all the input. glad we made the right choice. It does weigh 470# so I guess I'll need some help. Maybe the shipping company that will pick it up will wrestle it inside for us.....Thanks for all the input.....

Fred Strumpf
06-25-2008, 5:32 PM
I've had one in my den since 1986. It's at the end of the house and does a very good job of augmenting the house heat.

I have two fireplaces in my house and if I get very agressive, as I did last year, I kept my 1700 ft comfortable with 6 cord of wood and ~ 200 gals of oil.

The soapstone is very comfortable, not a hot spot, but you need to keep on top of the catalytic converter, they are expensive and will only last a year or two unless maintained.

I saw the current cost of these stoves and it is three times waht I payed in '86.

Great stove, but a tough decision when it comes down to it.

Regards

Fred

Jim Becker
06-25-2008, 9:48 PM
While I have a cast iron one (also from Vermont...), I have heard nothing but good things about the soapstone versions.

Tim Morton
06-26-2008, 4:52 AM
I heat my 2800 SQ ft home in Vermont with a single pellet stove, I never turn the oil on for heat. Cost me $1500 a year in pellets. I miss the wood burning feel that the soapstone would give you, but I don't miss the rest of it:)