PDA

View Full Version : Well, now I've dunnit!

Stephen Beckham
06-24-2008, 5:47 PM
Okay so after cutting acrylic letters out on the laser for a buddy, and his friend coming in to have me cut some out for his sign and then two others....

Now I've got someone asking me to make the sign for them. I'm not sure if I want to get that involved and after seeing most of the pics posted here, I'm not sure I can do a good sign justice.

It's for the local Mason Lodge and they want all the acrylic pieces in different colors to make up the logo and letters - not a problem.

They want a solid white background - first question - 1/4 or 1/8 inch white background? They want 1/8 inch to save on pricing - but for a 4' X 6' piece of acrylic with a bunch of letters - it's going to sag if it's only 1/8 inch.

But then they tell me - not really because they are going to glue it directly to the brick wall...:eek: Second question - can 4X6 acrylic sign be successfully glued to a concrete wall? I suggested the 1/4 and then have a frame around it that could be bolted to the wall - they absolutely do not want bolts of any kind! :eek::eek:

I'm in over my head on this one and feel like I need to walk away.

Did I mention the sign will hang up 2nd floor level?

Joe Pelonio
06-24-2008, 6:51 PM
With the size of the sign and being on the second floor, I would not install without at least two screws through the sign and into the brick or mortar. That thing could kill someone if it falls. I would also not use acrylic for the background, because if it breaks at a corner where a screw is it can fall, and any hunk of it that breaks for any reason will fall unless it has adhesive on the entire surface.

My recommendation is to use 1/8" dibond, (thin aluminum with pvc core) cheaper than acrylic anyway, stronger and lighter. Then glue the letters onto it and use silicone or construction adhesive to adhere to the wall with screws in at least the upper corners.

Stephen Beckham
06-24-2008, 8:28 PM
Joe,

I didn't know the name of the aluminum piece you were talking about, but that is what I suggested to use (have a source for it - but never called it by name). I also told them about cracks and large pieces falling - correction - large sharp pieces falling and hurting someone.

The last conversation I had since my first post was that I'm not going to provide a sheet of acrylic for backing no matter if they hang or get someone else to hang it. I just don't want someone to forget my warnings next year and say something like "yea, well, Steve shouldn't have made what we wanted if he knew it was unsafe..."

Regardless - I'm on standby with them now until they can make up their mind on the background. My original suggestion was to stick the acrylic letters right to the cement with the silicon and let their newly repainted wall be the back drop. I also pointed out that it would give a 3D effect with the letters sticking out - kind of like "HOLLYWOOD" sign... More to follow I'm sure...

Steve

Doug Bergstrom
06-25-2008, 7:00 PM
Good advice Joe!

I wouldn't put that sign up.

Joe Pelonio
06-25-2008, 9:07 PM
Joe,

My original suggestion was to stick the acrylic letters right to the cement with the silicon and let their newly repainted wall be the back drop. I also pointed out that it would give a 3D effect with the letters sticking out - kind of like "HOLLYWOOD" sign... More to follow I'm sure...

Steve
That's the best way to go, really. Some pieces of VHB foam tape will hold them until the silicone sets up and no damage to the wall.

Stephen Beckham
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Yea - I've sold them on going without a background sheet.

They are going to allow me to affix the letters and logo straight to the wall. I'll have to take photos when it's done. Back to the design work...

Steve

Joe Pelonio
07-15-2008, 12:06 PM
That will look a lot better, and the installation with VHB foam tape and silicone is pretty quick and easy with a good mounting pattern.