PDA

View Full Version : ShopFox mobile base

Doug Rogers
06-24-2008, 1:12 PM
I put a ShopFox mobile base under my new 14" Grizzly band saw. I am having a problem in getting the base to move. The two swivel casters will not allow the machine to move more than 6" before the casters turn completely sideways. The machine will not move. I took the original swivel casters off and replaced them with the red Woodcraft casters. I still have the same problem. I installed the casters according to the instructions.

Any suggestions to fix the problem? Thanks for your help!

Doug Rogers

Terry Achey
06-24-2008, 11:43 PM
I had the same problem with the Shopfox casters.....Junk. I replaced them with 3" casters from Lowe's. Two swivels and two lock/swivels. Don't know about the quailty of the red Woodcraft casters. Perhaps they aren't rated for the weight?

Actually, I since purchased the more expensive JET mobile base and they worked great.

Mike Heidrick
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I also have a couple SF bases and also consider them JUNK. Get an HTC replacement. Do not look back.

Lance Norris
06-25-2008, 12:54 AM
I also have had problems with the casters on the SF mobile bases. I replaced the swivel casters with ones I found at Harbor Freight. I posted here about my problems and someone mentioned that they contacted Grizzly about the problem and Grizzly replaced the casters with ones that were better. I dont have any first hand experience with replacement casters from Grizzly, but that is probably the way to go.

Tom Esh
06-25-2008, 8:47 AM
I also have had problems with the casters on the SF mobile bases. I replaced the swivel casters with ones I found at Harbor Freight. I posted here about my problems and someone mentioned that they contacted Grizzly about the problem and Grizzly replaced the casters with ones that were better. I dont have any first hand experience with replacement casters from Grizzly, but that is probably the way to go.

That was probably me. Actually before contacting Grizzly I considered replacing the casters with a HF set I had on hand, but soon discovered the SF base simply didn't have the clearance to allow them to swivel. The swivel radius on the SF casters seems to be a bit shorter than typical, which allows them to just clear the base frame. I suppose I could have lowered the mount points with some wood blocks, but that would also have elevated everything and by that time my "Enough!" meter had pegged.:D

alex grams
06-25-2008, 9:34 AM
You aren't the only person who isn't a big fan of the shop fox mobile base.

Here is my experience, and several other people who had the same feelings:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81128

Joe Scharle
06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Myself and a few others really like this kit from Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/145488_230.jpg

Lance Norris
06-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I did re-drill the mounts to allow the HF casters to move far enough away from the base so they would swivel. Its been fine now.

Doug Rogers
07-12-2008, 3:10 PM
I got the replacement swivel casters from Grizzly. I am now able to the move the base. The saw is in position now, so there is no need to move it around alot. The replacement casters are a big improvement though as I can pul the saw away from the wall. This was not possible with the original casters.

Another great job by Grizzly customer service!!

Doug Rogers

glenn bradley
07-12-2008, 5:02 PM
I have a G0513X (over 350lbs) on a Shop Fox and while (like almost all mobile bases) it is not something to right home about, I have no trouble moving the tools around the gara . . . uh, shop.