PDA

View Full Version : DMT hones clogging

Fred Oliver
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
After a little use the DMT hones get smooth and feel like they're not cutting. I assume that's because they're clogging up, and I further assume that's normal. (I hone my turning tools between trips to the grinder with the little 1x4" red/green double-sided hone.)

What I do is put on a little Comet cleanser, brush the surface with a stiff nylon brush, rinse it off and dry it.

Does that sound okay, or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Has anyone ever worn out one of the DMT hones or sharpening plates? Aren't they supposed to last and last and last?

Do you use any lubricant on these? On the larger ones (4x10" ?) I spray some water, although I've seen the recommendation to use soapy water.

What do most people use?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Fred

Spencer Hochstetler
06-24-2008, 1:26 PM
I use water. The ground metal floats off...

David Wilhelm
06-24-2008, 6:12 PM
Fred I'd get a blue. I've carried a blue in my pocket that was given to me and it's old it's not grainy but it's cuts. I have several and all grit. I use a green but only on my finer knives when i'm whittling. I'd use them with water, and wash them with warm soapy and rinse clean. this blue DMT in my pocket is around 20 yrs old.

Reed Gray
06-25-2008, 12:45 AM
I have had mine for 15 years. I do need to clean them more often, but an abrasive cleanser like comet or ajax works well. Also, using water when you sharpen keeps the stones cleaner. Diamond does better grinding carbide than it does steel.
robo hippy