PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening the oval skew

Fred Oliver
06-24-2008, 12:44 PM
The oval skew is a challenge for me, and I'm thinking it's because of the rounded (oval) profile, which doesn't lay flat on the grinder rest.

I'm using the Jet Slow-Speed Wet Grinder and the flat tool rest. I have most of the jigs for the Jet grinder but haven't figured out one that would do any better.

Is it just a matter of practice/experience, learning how to hold the skew steady?

Any observations, tips, tricks or advice will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Fred

Harvey M. Taylor
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Too bad you didnt get the Tormek wet wheel slow grinder. It has a jig that holds the oval shape just right and you can duplicate the bevel and angle easily, then just grind until both sides match.

David Drickhamer
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
I also have the Jet sharpener and love it. I made a jig for sharpening an oval skew. Tormek jigs work on the Jet.

Fred Oliver
06-27-2008, 4:02 PM
David, can you share any information on, or source for, the jig you made. For about $50 I can get the Tormek SVS-50 multi-jig, and it looks like it would work fine on the Jet.

Harvey, I looked long and hard at the Tormek vs. Jet. There were several reviews and comparisons of the two machines, and I used the Jet extensively the week I was at Lonnie Bird's woodworking school. While each has its advocates, I suspect the Tormek is arguably a better machine.

What it boils down to is that I got the Jet with the base/drawers, machine cover, diamond dresser and all the jigs I could use for under $400 with free shipping. IIRC, that's about $150 less than the Tormek base price, and about $250-300 less than the 'comparibly equipped' Tormek would have been.

Harvey M. Taylor
06-27-2008, 6:22 PM
Hi Fred,
I bought my Tormek a couple years before Jet came out with theirs. If I were in the market today, I might buy the Jet. They are both excellent machines, Max

Paul Douglass
06-27-2008, 7:57 PM
Go here and purchase the "Advance Pen Turning Video"

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Video-3-Pens.html

It shows how to get that skew razor sharp using W/D sandpaper. I've do it, it works, its simple and it doesn't take an expensive sharpener.

Jeff Wright
06-27-2008, 9:49 PM
Go here and purchase the "Advance Pen Turning Video"

It shows how to get that skew razor sharp using W/D sandpaper. I've do it, it works, its simple and it doesn't take an expensive sharpener.

. . . . . . Go where?

Paul Douglass
06-28-2008, 8:42 AM
Thanks. Jeff. Believe me when you get old, the mind is not the first thing to go...

Fred Oliver
06-30-2008, 3:10 PM
Interestingly, Harvey, the current Woodworker's Journal just arrived and has a good comparison of the Jet, Tormek, Grizzly. From that review, it appears the Tormek is the better machine, although the price difference is even more than when I bought my Jet.

That said, I wonder if anyone has experience with the Tormek SVS-50 multi-jig, and particularly has used it with the Jet.

Fred