PDA

View Full Version : I can't sing, I can't march...

Fred Oliver
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
and I can't do a fingernail grind on my bowl gouge.

When my son came home from the first day of pre-school (26 years ago) his report was: "I can't sing, and I can't march." Now I feel his pain when I go to the grinder.

Parenthetically, the long-running show "Kids Say the Darndest Things" began when the studio gave Art Linkletter a tape recorder to take home and practice his interview techniques. He 'interviewed' his son:
"How was your first day of school?"
"I didn't like it, and I'm not going back!"
"Why is that?"
"I can't read, I can't write, and they won't let me talk."

So I have the Jet slow-speed wet grinder and all the jigs, including the one for bowl gouges. The printed instructions are worthless, but I've watched Ernie's video a number of times. (He sure makes it look easy.)

I still get many facets on the fingernail (Irish?) grind. The wings are getting shorter, and I'd like them longer.

What am I missing? Where can I get information about this? What advice can the Jet Sharpener owners provide?

Thanks,

Fred

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Fred,

Grinding is an art that has to be learned. Maybe there is another Creeker in your area that could help you out.

It took me a while but I finally learned....but I shortened some gouges in the process.

Richard Madison
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Fred,
The tendency is to grind too much off the nose of the gouge and not enough off the sides (flutes). Hence the nose tends to become stubbier and the side grind (by whatever name) tends to disappear.

Burt Alcantara
06-24-2008, 5:45 PM
A violinst, late for a concert, asks an old man, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"
His answer? "Practice."

When I first began turning, I went through about 3 gouges right down to the stump. They were good for stabbing but not much for turning.

Took a class with Trent Bosch. Showed me how to sharpen in 60 seconds. It's that easy -- if you know what to do.

What Trent taught me was to establish an angle on the nose (using the Wolverine jig), place the nose on the grinding wheel then, keeping the tool on the wheel, drop it to the right, back to the center, drop to the left. That's it!

I use the Wolverine system. But that's not a slam dunk either. Whatever system you use, keep practicing. As Ken said, it's more of an Art then Science.

As to a fingernail, that will come when you get to Carnegie Hall...:cool:

Burt

Robert McGowen
06-24-2008, 6:47 PM
I use the Jet grinder also. As with any sharpening system, consistency is the key. Once you get the gouge the way that you want it, make a guide so that you can place the grinding jig back onto the gouge in exactly the same spot. ( make a jig for the jig... :D ) I simply have a small piece of wood that touches the grinding jig and I place the tip of the gouge even with the mark I have made on the guide by sliding the jig up or down on the shaft of the gouge. I have different guides for different gouges, but they all use the same grinding jig. I hope this makes sense!

If you have too little "wing", you need to lengthen the amount of gouge that is sticking out of the jig. This will increase the amount of "wing".

The above posts are correct though. Once everything is set up and you are comfortable with sharpening, it only takes a few seconds to keep everything sharp while turning.

Clara Koss
06-24-2008, 8:08 PM
i don't know the answer but can he sing and march now????:D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2008, 9:48 PM
i don't know the answer but can he sing and march now????:D

Maybe not Clara......but I bet we can get him to give it a try!:D

Bill Bolen
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
what Richard said! You need to set and grind the angle on the nose and then just forget about anymore grinding on the nose. Grind the wings left and right when the shape is right for you make a sweeping grind from one wing over the nose to the other wing. You are just blending the grinds with this last pass. Most of the grinding will be on the wings...Bill..

Paul Gallian
06-25-2008, 12:36 AM
I also spent the big bucks and purchased the Jet slow-speed wet grinder and all the jigs, including the one for bowl gouges.!! After several (make that many attempts) I gave up on the system. (had to send a bowl gouge back to Thompson tool to be re-profile). Then I purchase a slow grinder and the wolverine system from Woodcraft. Use it and turned - use it and turned - use it and turned. Short learning curve... spent way too many $$ but the stress relief was worth it.

P.S. The Jet wet grinder is gathering dust. I will give it another go someday.