PDA

View Full Version : Wow...that's gonna be one nice miter saw....

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2008, 11:15 AM
The new Festool Kapex 120 email hit my inbox from Rockler today....wow!!!!

I've never seen anything that nice and it's the very first Festool item I would buy if I had the cash. I'd guess this miter saw will be well over $1k so it might never see my shop, but for those interested in the best miter saw on the planet....this would be it. All that and 91% dust extraction!

The darn thing comes with a miter guage to transfer angles on your wall to the saw and the rail system lets you butt it right up to the wall. I'll save the other features for your perusal....the new page is up on Festool's site already and has several short films you can watch.

Guess I need to go buy a lotto ticket.

Charlie Barnes
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I "Googled" it this morning and the ads that came back all had $1300. Maybe the actual street price will be less in time. Wishful thinking?

Mark Grotenhuis
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree that new festool looks amazing. I have a wonderful makita ls1214l that works great, but the new festool looks like it'll blow it out of the water. Very cool design, seems to have fixed every complaint I had about my Makita and then some. Bummer it costs so much though ... $1300! I could buy 3 Makita's plus some extra blades for that much! The price totally does not justify the new features. Hopefully every other manufacturer out there copies these new features and has them on the market for me when I need a new saw in 10 or so years.

Greg Robbins
06-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Might want to check this review out (at Wood Works Alive) from someone who's a pro and got a little hands on with one.

(http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php/topic,534.0.html)

Jacob Reverb
06-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm holding out for the $5000 model. I'm sure it'll be along any time now... :rolleyes:

Jim O'Dell
06-24-2008, 4:07 PM
They had a boxed one at the Rockler on Sat. I got side tracked and didn't got back over to see if they had one on display. Jim.

Eric DeSilva
06-24-2008, 4:18 PM
Maybe the actual street price will be less in time. Wishful thinking?

Not if its Festool... They seem to be pretty good at keeping their retailers locked in at specific prices.

Brad Townsend
06-24-2008, 4:25 PM
I got that same email and immediately deleted it. At $1300, it's well beyond my means.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
06-24-2008, 4:32 PM
I "Googled" it this morning and the ads that came back all had $1300. Maybe the actual street price will be less in time. Wishful thinking?

Very wishful. Festool published prices "are" the street price.

But I'm with Kelly...it's an awesome tool in every way and I'd consider it if I ever replaced my current CMS. That's unlikely since I rarely use it, however...

jason lambert
06-24-2008, 4:41 PM
I worked with one it is nice. Has some definite advantages but at 1300 not sure it will help my work that much more. I think it is way over priced but I will probably get one anyhow. It's ashame it has to cost so much though I would like to see one on every work bench.

Brad Townsend
06-24-2008, 5:30 PM
Alright...I've gotten THREE emails from Rockler today telling me "THE KAPEX IS COMING!"

Enough already! . . . Sheesh!

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2008, 5:40 PM
Might want to check this review out from someone who's a pro and got a little hands on with one.

I read that just now....apparently he missed how the stock can be cut at the BACK of the blade for extra vertical capacity. I know a lot of folks who hate vertical handles, but I am tall so they come in handy for me.

$1300 huh? While that's way out of range, it's also out of my area being a saw much more suited to fine trim work than deck work. Even my newest passion for builidng log beds doesn't call for anything that accurate or fancy. All that said it is still the neatest saw in the bunch.

Ryan Sparreboom
06-24-2008, 6:03 PM
I just ordered mine. Should be here in a few weeks. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

NOT!!! I wish....

Neal Clayton
06-24-2008, 6:03 PM
I read that just now....apparently he missed how the stock can be cut at the BACK of the blade for extra vertical capacity. I know a lot of folks who hate vertical handles, but I am tall so they come in handy for me.

$1300 huh? While that's way out of range, it's also out of my area being a saw much more suited to fine trim work than deck work. Even my newest passion for builidng log beds doesn't call for anything that accurate or fancy. All that said it is still the neatest saw in the bunch.

my bosch has a handle that turns, so you can have it either way. and costs 500, btw.

Tyler Howell
06-24-2008, 7:38 PM
I played with one at Rockler last Sat.
Sure is sweet.
I'm getting the Festool itch!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Larry Browning
06-25-2008, 9:18 PM
Might want to check this review out from someone who's a pro and got a little hands on with one.

Is this not a violation of TOS????????

Yes...link removed.

Peter Quinn
06-25-2008, 9:41 PM
I've ordered two. I have plans to create my own version of a double ended tennoner. For $1300 I need a SCMS to do a little more than cut perfect trim.:D Not Really

Ivan Warrington
06-26-2008, 8:12 AM
Heres the problem. $.64 = euro 1.00. If the dollar and euro were equal, the saw would be about $858.00. I might be in at this price.

Dave Lehnert
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I was passing through Ft. Wayne Indiana this week and looking for a place to eat. happened by a Woodcraft store. As luck would have it, the store had just closed. peeking through the window I could see the new miter saw. Would have liked to get a closer look.

The price is way out of range for my needs. I have not purchased a $500 unit because that is too much. But could see if in the trade how it would be worth the price.