PDA

View Full Version : Will bleach hurt waterstones?

Greg Crawford
06-24-2008, 8:27 AM
As many have already stated, the easier it is to hone, the more often it will be done. I'm trying to make honing as easy as I can, so I've kept a shallow tupperware dish of water (covered when not in use) with my stones to soak them before use. I've noticed mold growing in the dish after a week or so, and was thinking about putting some bleach in the water to try to prevent this. I know that most tap water already has some bleach in it, but if I add about 1/8 teaspoon to 3 or 4 cups of water, will this affect the waterstones? They're Norton stones.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Rob Luter
06-24-2008, 9:53 AM
I've seen that recommendation before, I believe it was in FWW. Just a small amount will do the trick as you suggest.

Matt Meiser
06-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I've done this for the past 7 years with no ill effects. Without it, especially with well water that doesn't already contain some chlorine, the water gets a little funky.

Wes Harper
06-24-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure about bleach. I recall reading that putting a drop in the water would help to control unwanted stuff from growing. I have never had an issue with anything growing and never had the need to try the bleach to find out.

However, I did contact Norton/St. Gobain on a similiar issue with their waterstones and they were responsive. I would think that if you were to contact them, they would be able to give you a qualified answer as far as their stones. With other brands, try one of the vendors.

BTW, I had the idea to use windshield washing fluid for storing my Norton waterstones in my unheated shop. It seemed a good application as the fluid had a very low freezing point. I contacted St. Gobain to ask them about this. They replied that they were not sure and would replace the stones if there was a problem. Within a couple of weeks, a couple of chunks fell off the stone. Something in the fluid was having a reaction on the stone. I relayed this to St. Gobain and they replaced the stone.

Good Luck

Stephen Shepherd
06-25-2008, 8:03 AM
Just put a stick of fresh cut willow (Salix spp.), with just the outer bark carefully removed, leaving the inner bark. It is high in salicylic acid and will prevent mold growth.

I use it in my glue pot as well and I keep a stick in the Iron Gall Ink I make, works great.

Stephen

Greg Crawford
06-25-2008, 8:20 AM
Stephen,

I'd never heard of that. I know aspirin is derived from willow bark, do you suppose an aspirin would do the same?

Thanks for all the answers,

Greg

Rob Luter
06-25-2008, 8:32 AM
Asprin is salicylic acid.

Stephen Shepherd
06-25-2008, 8:43 AM
Aspirin is actually acetyl-salicyic acid, a synthetic version of the stuff from the inner bark of all willows. I am not sure what else is in aspirin, binders, etc.

Willow is ubiquitous and cheap, I have even collected it in the winter time.

Stephen

Rob Luter
06-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I stand corrected :o