PDA

View Full Version : Little Gloat

Jim Koepke
06-24-2008, 2:29 AM
Today was documents to the state and county day for us. We were going to do a little shopping at an antique store, a woodworking store and look in on Harbor Freight as I have never been inside one. After eating lunch, we noticed the time and decided to head to the county offices because the court house would be closing in less than two hours. Since the papers were for my wife and I would fail the metal detectors she told me to just go wonder around.

So, about a block away there was an antique shop with a few egg beater drills in the display and an overpriced Stanley No. 4. Wondered around in the shop for awhile. Found a few other items that were a bit higher than I wanted to pay. In one corner there was an old bushel basket with some braces. As I removed one to look, I spotted a spokeshave handle. I pulled it out and it was marked spoke shave on the tag, but it was a No. 66 beading tool. With tax, it came to $8.12. Not a super deal, but I have been wanting one of these for a while. This one did not have anything but the handle and the blade holder and even the screw was missing from that. I found a Stanley winged screw from a Side Rabbet will likely work for that, though I did have to cut some threads at the top as these have about 1/8 inch unthreaded.

It is a 10-28 thread, I do have a cutter that will handle that. A trip to the hardware store is in order to look for some other screw stock to make a holding screw, then it is finding something to make a few blades.

Lucky there are plenty of braces in my shop. My excitement was such that I neglected to look at the prices on the braces in the basket.

jim

harry strasil
06-24-2008, 8:56 AM
I just used old handsaw metal for making the blades for the two I have, one an older style and the other the second model, the fences were missing from mine also.

I usually never pass up a chance to get another brace with a spofford chuck, they usually don't cost much as most want the newer style chucks.

Jim Koepke
07-03-2008, 5:17 PM
My younger brother is better at finding good stuff in the hunting for rust league than most can aspire. He actually does it for a living of sorts.

So he was welcomed at my door when he called and said he found some old tools at an estate sale I might be interested in. It is also enjoyable because either he likes to hear my commentary on what he brings or he is darn good at pretending he is enjoying it.

This was actually a pretty good find, there is a 1" Stanley 750 and a 1" Karpenter. The Winsted Tool was not readable until a little cleaning was done. There are also a lot of other makers here. The gouge is Spears & Jackson. There is also a nice gimlet with what looks like a rosewood handle.
Some of the chisel handles are ones that I had around the shop.

He also gave me a bunch of Stanley nail sets. Now my set is complete from 1/32" to 5/32" with a few duplicates.

The Stanley 93 was won recently on eBay.

The No. 66 story is at the start of this thread. The picture shows the screw and blade made for this. New fences and a set of blade blanks have already been ordered from LN.

The second picture is of a marking knife recently made from an old plane blade. There was a thread here about making handles for a knife, so some where made and they turned out OK.

jim

Johnny Kleso
07-03-2008, 9:42 PM
I first thought you said you got a Little

http://www.nwnyteam.org/Graphics/Boer%20goat.jpg

:)

Derek Cohen
07-04-2008, 2:14 AM
For those wishing to make their own #66 fences - or improve on the original fence - and make blades, then go the the article I wrote on my website:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Improving%20the%2066%20Hand%20Beader.html

Have fun.

Regards from Perth

Derek