PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the new Platform VLS 4.60?

James Morley
06-24-2008, 2:24 AM
I know they were just released in early June but I was hoping someone has seen one at a show. This looks like a hybrid between the PLS and the VLS from the exterior. I've seen the new Laser + software on a smaller machine during a demo and liked it.

Observations, opinions, insight, first hand knowledge?

Scott Shepherd
06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Yes, I have seen it and watched it run a demo at a show last week. Any specific questions? It looks exactly like the PLS platform, mechanically. I asked what the differences to the PLS were and didn't get a great answer (I think because the guy speaking was the guy who sold me the PLS ;) ).

Only kidding! The main difference I saw was that there is no control panel on the machine, where as the PLS there is a control panel and you can change jobs, make adjustments on the fly, etc., where as the VLS, I assume it all has to be done via the job control program.

All the pieces inside and outside looked just like my PLS except for the color of the cabinet and the missing screen. Looks like a very nice platform for sure.

James Morley
06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Steve,
I was told that this is a PLS with the Versalaser electronics. The new PLS series are capeable of dual lasers and higher watts. Both run the same software and drivers.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a laser and this one is on my short list. I am saving quite a bit due to existing ventilation set up for welding and a compressor with existing lines run. I'm just waiting for word from my higher ups that the exhaust I have in house will be adequate. I doubt that will be an issue. I'm hung up on the drying options now. (for air assist) Dessicant vs Refridgerant? I have air plumbed in the room but this is way over my area of expertise. My head is spinning. Any suggestions?

Scott Shepherd
06-24-2008, 1:01 PM
I'd leave the dry air question for people who know more than I do about it. Only comment is that the air must be dry air. On some lasers, the air assist is only a "backsweep" type of air which blows air around the point of contact for the material. However, with the ULS air assist, it's got small filtered air nozzles (I can't think of what they are called right now) everywhere there is a mirror on the system, as well as blowing down the beam where it contacts the material. So with all the mirrors being protected by an "Air shield", you can imagine what a drop of water would do.

I saw a ULS flyer in my inbox yesterday on the new VLS platform and how the leasing rates were low, so it appears there is a special on right now. I think you'll be happy with it. I'm very happy with my PLS system, and if the only real difference is the LCD on the machine, then it's a nice machine.

Good luck!

Mike Mackenzie
06-24-2008, 2:12 PM
James,

We use neither of those options to control the moisture in the air lines what we do is use water traps we run the air lines through a water trap right off of the compressor and then run the lines up to a high point and then down to a low point this is where we put a second water trap. Then we run the line back up to connect to the laser.

We have been running our lasers this way with just a Home Depot compressor for many years and we have never had water come through the lines into the laser.

We are located in an area that is not that humid and this could cause more moisture in the air lines so please consider this when you set-up the system.

I would stay away from desiccant you will get very tired of changing / drying the desiccant.

FYI we also used gas pipe to plumb in to the area where we needed it and then did the loop thing with regular air hose. The gas pipe seems to keep the air cooler with less condensation.

Bill Cunningham
06-24-2008, 10:29 PM
We used to fill the inline dryer pipe (a piece of two inch pipe, with caps on both ends a petcock on the bottom cap, a threaded hole in the side about 2-3 inches up from the bottom for the input line, and a threaded hole at the top for the discharge line), then fill the whole thing with marbles. Each sphere has a large surface area, and they condense moisture very effectively, which is then periodically drained out the bottom petcock.. This was always used as the first filter stage in a breathing air system, then alumina, molecular sive 13x, hopcalyte, more 13x and then charcoal to polish it off, but just the marble stage will remove a heck of a lot of raw water, and should be located 'before' any regulators....The higher the pressure, the more water you can get out..