PDA

View Full Version : "Four Play"

Richard Madison
06-23-2008, 8:27 PM
“Four Play”, because it took four turned shapes to make it. Oak and padauk ribbon form, 7-1/2” x 7-1/2” x 17-1/2”. Actually it was supposed to have been “Three Play”, but due to brain fade or lack of focus (probably caused by a visiting grandchild), I glued a couple pieces incorrectly and had to make another “bowl” to make it come out even. It is technically a little better than that first one, with thinner and more uniform walls.

Comments welcome.

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 8:51 PM
awsome! you really like doing this dont you? i was wondering what you had made when i read the title. for the next one you should try a patern across it, lie make it look like a black paved road with lines across it. or a piano

Jim Becker
06-23-2008, 9:24 PM
Wonderful work, Richard.

Mark Singer
06-23-2008, 9:29 PM
This is terrific! Very original and fun!

Robert McGowen
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
You might want to consider "unretiring" Richard. You obviously have a lot of extra time on your hands. Seriously nice work though!

Richard Madison
06-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Curtis. No, I hate it, but I have to be somewhere, doing something all the time. May not make another for a while (very time consuming), but if you want to buy me some blackwood and holly, I'll have a go. Note that the padauk required 16 (as in sixteen) linear feet of 1/4" x 3/4" stock. That was about the last of it.

Thanks Jim. Appreciate it.

Thanks Mark. But scarcely original. Check out Malcolm Tibbetts' book.

Thanks Robert. Waiting for glue to dry gives you a lot of time to work on the "Honey (get off your a**) Do" list. I have nearly caught up (until tonight's additions to the list).

Bob Hallowell
06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
I think it looks great- I am sure you did Malcom proud.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
06-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Richard - very impressive work! Great color combination and design! Malcolm's book or not - you still had to figure out how to make this - and you did a great job on it! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Richard Madison
06-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks Bob and Steve! Appreciate your kind words.

David Newson
06-24-2008, 7:14 AM
Richard - That's one stunning piece of work with a very arty contemporary design.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2008, 7:33 AM
Richard..........That is a beauty. Malcolm checks in here periodically and I'm sure he'll comment. And I'm also sure his will be positive comments and encouragement!

Wayne Bower
06-24-2008, 7:43 AM
What a beautiful piece. I am sure that was a lot of work. The error did not take away from the piece. Really nice work. I am impressed.

Tim A. Mitchell
06-24-2008, 9:29 AM
That is a nice headdress for the hearing impared. I bet that really chanels the sound right in, but I think it may block some vision though.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I like the piece, and its symetrical shape. It must have taken some great patience, especially to have to make a fourth. You did well.

Paul Engle
06-24-2008, 9:47 AM
Richard , you are a true inspriation to us, WTG.Well done indeed.When you figure out how to spend more time in the shop and less else where .... let me know ;). Once again great work !!!!

Mike Ramsey
06-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Fantastic! That is a seriously nice piece! Great work!

Clara Koss
06-24-2008, 8:28 PM
holy maguilacuty dude!!!!! that is soooo great!!!! whatcha gonna do with it ??? keep it or sell it????? that's a family heirloom....

Mark Hix
06-24-2008, 10:22 PM
It is really great. I like the wood choices. They really look good together. The peice really shows off your skill.

Richard Madison
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you all some more for the kind words. Wayne; the "error" actually added to the piece. Had to add the fourth "bowl" to make it come out even. I didn't say that clearly enough the first time. Clara; my wife likes it so it will probably stay here at the house. Doubt if it would bring an acceptable price locally anyhow. Am told that the first one has drawn a lot of attention (at a small local gallery) but no buyer, and it is very modestly priced.

Thanks again y'all.

John Terefenko
06-25-2008, 9:28 AM
Very nice work indeed. Gets the mind thinking "how was this done". Keep it up. That would be coll the piano keys idea.

Other note, just an opinion, Jim Becker needs to lose the suit and tie in his avatar:):):) Not the same guy.

Richard Madison
06-27-2008, 9:03 PM
Thanks, John. My wife wants to call it "Waves", as she says the original name suggests something not related to woodturning. Wonder if I can edit the title of the original post. Probably not.