PDA

View Full Version : my lathe, part 2 i got pictures now

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 7:32 PM
heres the lathe i got and all of the things with it.
for this i traded, 2 apple burls, 3 spaulted cherry burls, 4 maple logs, 4 spaulted maple logs, 2 oak logs.

it has brass bushings, with oil cups. there is no play at all in the spindle.

it has 4 screws that hold on the head stock, does that mean i can flip the headstock around?

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 7:38 PM
heres the motor that came with it. its from a dryer as you can see on the sticker, its a 1/3hp motor. i decided that i didnt like this so i got this other motor. its a 3 phase 1hp motor, i will use this motor as soon as the vfd is ready

the third picture is the one that is 1hp

Judy Kingery
06-23-2008, 7:39 PM
Hey Curtis,

That's cool, found the manual if this works to cut and paste it here:

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Craftsman/101-06242.pdf

Anyway, enjoy - I know nothing about that particular lathe, but I like old machines so sometimes look things up. My Dad's old lathe (which I now have) was made about 1938. Still works like a champ.

Best wishes to you getting it all set up like you want it and hope it works out fine!

Jude

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 7:42 PM
here is what came with it. a 8 inch faceplate that came with wood on it. 3 drive spurs, 2 tailstock things, one is a pin one is a cup. and a jacobs chuck

oh yeah, it also came with the oil thingy

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 7:44 PM
yepp, i have the manual. i got this through some folks over at owwm thats a great site. they also have just about every manual from every machine made

Judy Kingery
06-23-2008, 7:45 PM
Cool Curtis,

Do let us know how it works out, I think your motor choice is a good option, too! Jude

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 8:12 PM
as soon as we have a bench to mount it i will probably be doin about 3 bowls if not more, per day. it takes me a little more than 80 minutes to completly finish a bowl, roughing the bowl from a log, sanding and finishing, the finish has to sit and dry but thats just minor

Reed Gray
06-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Curtis,
That could be a clone of my first lathe. I had a 4 speed Atlas. Put a 1 hp motor on it, new headstock bearings, and a link belt. Worked it pretty hard for 2 years before I got my PM.

You know it is time to clean up the shop when you have to get down on your knees to turn.

robo hippy

Dewey Torres
06-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Man that baby is from back when craftsman was CRAFTSMAN!
Dewey

Tim A. Mitchell
06-24-2008, 9:32 AM
Nice trade Curtis. Spend some time to clean it up nice while you wait on the drive, then make it really dirty.

john taliaferro
06-24-2008, 1:00 PM
sweet. take a big log saw flats on three sides bolter down. we want to see bowls . that is like new, should run her slow for a time. what you name her. john t

robert hainstock
06-24-2008, 1:29 PM
curtis, Your lathe reminds me of the old Atlas. Sears alwys bought the Craftsman line of tools from a vendor who was already producing the tool under thier own name. That is a well built, solid tool and should give you many happy hours making shavings. :)
Bob

Bill Bolen
06-24-2008, 5:35 PM
Nice trade Curtis! Hope you ejoy and keep those oil cups filled!...Bill...

Don Orr
06-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Nice score Curtis.

I have my Father-in-Law's old Craftsman lathe that is very similar from about 1936 and it still works well. I need to get it set up in my shop someday and put it back into service. Have to get rid of an old Craftsman tube rail lathe first though.

Enjoy your lathe !

curtis rosche
06-26-2008, 6:59 PM
i should get it set up soon what height should the spindle be? i said it should be at the right height so that the tool is in the armpit to give support but was told that was too high

Jim Becker
06-26-2008, 7:20 PM
How high is very subjective. But the rule of thumb for a starting point is when you stand normally with your elbow bent so your hand is straight out from your body...the height of your elbow is it. But I said "starting point" for a reason. Variables include the type of turning you do and personal comfort. And everyone has different length arms and legs compared to their torso...

By the above, my spindle height should be 46", but I prefer it an inch higher.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Congrats on the lathe Curtis. On the height mine at the elbow should be 44" but I like mine 2" higher at 46".