View Full Version : how do i attach platform on bed

david hines
06-23-2008, 6:07 PM
hi all I am just finishing up my daughters bed. platform style with a set of drawers under. my first idea is just rip down some stock, screw and glue to the rails/sides and set the platform on top. Is there any hardware available to avoid this? I am running out of maple. loml says just buy more lumber and I will, but looking for an easier way. any help out there?

Fred Voorhees
06-23-2008, 6:12 PM
Dave, you might want to take a look at my blog here on SMC. I have a detailed photo essay on a platform bed that I built for my niece. You may get some ideas from that.

Jim Becker
06-23-2008, 7:46 PM
You'll want a few screws through the platform into the supporting structure to keep it from moving around over time. You don't need a lot of them to do the job.

Charles Wiggins
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
hi all I am just finishing up my daughters bed. platform style with a set of drawers under. my first idea is just rip down some stock, screw and glue to the rails/sides and set the platform on top. Is there any hardware available to avoid this? I am running out of maple. loml says just buy more lumber and I will, but looking for an easier way. any help out there?

David,

Jim's headed in the right direction. When I built our platform bed I essentially made a water bed with short side rails. The decking is just 3/4" play that sits atop the pedestal. I simply located the top rails of the pedestal and put 1 1/4" drywall screws through the decking into the rails - 3 screws down the right and 3 down the left. The underside of the rails is rabbeted to accept the decking and I shot screws up through the decking into the rails to keep them in place when getting in and out of bed.

91249 91250

91251 91252