PDA

View Full Version : Delta 36-472 Platinum TS; purchase?

Scotty Stepp
06-23-2008, 5:43 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to buy my first TS and wondered if this would be a good 1st purchase for $500 used, 1 owner?

Delta 36-472 Platinum 10" 1 1/2 HP Contractor's table saw with Uni-fence

Thanks for the input.

scott spencer
06-23-2008, 7:52 PM
The saw itself should be fine. The value really depends on the condition and any extras that come with it. $500 is a bit steep for a used contractor saw IMO, but it has a good fence. If it comes with a mobile base, some inserts, maybe a router table, and/or extra blades, it could be a good value. $500 should buy an excellent used contractor saw, or possibly a good used hybrid or even a used cabinet saw, so be picky at that price point.

Jim Becker
06-23-2008, 9:34 PM
I had the functional equivalent of that for my first "good" saw...mine was the "Grand Edition" and was coincidentally "Jet ivory" in color. It was a great saw and I was in love with the UniFence. I agree that $500 may be pushing things unless it's pristine since that saw is from about 2001 or so. New, it was about $999 if it had the cast iron wings.

Bruce Wrenn
06-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I had the functional equivalent of that for my first "good" saw...mine was the "Grand Edition" and was coincidentally "Jet ivory" in color. It was a great saw and I was in love with the UniFence. I agree that $500 may be pushing things unless it's pristine since that saw is from about 2001 or so. New, it was about $999 if it had the cast iron wings.Jim, don't you find it strange that WMH (Jet) is going after Shop Fox (Grizzly) over the use of the color white, when they stole it from Delta?

Rich Konopka
06-24-2008, 6:24 AM
Scott,

I have a similar Delta and it is a great saw. If I had to so it over again I would consider a saw that has better dust collection. That could be a "Hybrid" or a Grizzly for a few bucks more.

Eric DeSilva
06-24-2008, 9:41 AM
Not sure where you live, but for comparative purposes, I picked up a Delta Platinum Edn Unisaw--cabinet saw--with a 50" bies fence, several crappy blades, a tenoning jig, a mobile base, and a delta miter jig for $700 on CL in the DC area. The case was a messy (spilled paint on the sides), the top had some minor dings I had to sand flat, and everything needed to be aligned, but now it runs like a champ...