PDA

View Full Version : Powematic BS tracking problem

Ray Turney
06-23-2008, 4:50 PM
Bought a new Powermatic 14in. BS last week with the riser kit. Assembled the machine and tried the stock blade which is 3/8, got it to track in the center. Ordered a new 3/4 Timberwolf blade to resaw with. The new blade came today and I put it on and tensioned it, centered it on the top wheel but, it would not center on the bottom wheel, after trying for about an hour gave up and called the factory rep. Got thru very quick to tech and he said to loosen the big bolt that holds the top,riser, and the base and to tweak the the top just a hair front to back. Tried this, but with the pins that hold it together it would not move. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it. Tech support is closed now, so I thought I'd run it by you fine gentlemen. Help me!! Thanks

jonathan snyder
06-23-2008, 5:19 PM
Ray,

That has been a problem with that saw for quite some time. It has to do with the pins being misaligned. Do a google search, you'll find a-lot of folks talking about that problem. I spoke with CS about that issue last December, before I bought mine. They assured me that it was taken care of, and only some of the old riser blocks had that issue. Mine is just fine. Ask for a new riser block.

I would caution against using a 3/4" blade although PM says the saw can handle one. See my thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=86910)here about about what happened to my saw yesterday, after tensioning a 3/4" blade.

Customer Service was great, and agreed to send the replacement parts, no questions asked.

Jonathan

Jeff Duncan
06-23-2008, 5:22 PM
I know this doesn't help your problem, but a 3/4" blade is pushing the limits of that size saw. If you do a little digging through past threads I think you'll find 1/2" is about as big as you'll want on a saw that size. That's not to say it can't work, as some guys do it. Just that you may encounter more problems before you can get it to work, if you can get it to work.
good luck,
JeffD

Ray Turney
06-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks fellas, I'll call the company in the morning and ask for a new riser block. It seems to me that when you spend that kind of money on a supposedly high end machine you should be able to use it right out of the box. I'm kind of disapointed right now,I shouldn't have to tweak it myself. Anyway thanks for your help.

Jeff Duncan
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I've never come across a machine that was ready to go right out of the box, regardless of how much they cost. That's something guys new to buying machinery seem to get confused about. You could spend 10 times as much on a saw and it would still need to be gone over when it arrives at your shop. This is probably even more true of bandsaws than some of the simpler machines.
Now if it's a defective or poorly engineered part, that's another thing altogether. Don't know what your problem will end up being, but don't be too concerned with spending a little time on a new machine, it's just part of the process. Hopefully once you get it purring it will stay that way for a long time. That's the true sign of a quality machine.
good luck,
JeffD

Ray Turney
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Called the company this morning and explained the problem to Dave the tech and they are going to send me a new riser block. Their customer service is excellent, both days that I called I was talking to a tech in less than a minute, no holding, no dreadful music, and talked to a real person. Thanks for your help fellas.