PDA

View Full Version : CP Jointer Garage Sale Purchase

Jay Knoll
04-17-2004, 1:33 PM
Hi all,

Haven't been posting for awhile since I have been consumed with a kitchen remodel which has extensive project scope increase. Will post pics/share experiences in a later post.

A friend stopped by this morning and told me about a jointer for sale at a near by garage sale. I picked it up for $60, the identification plate says CP Tool, 1986, 1 hp motor. I suspect an Far East manufacturer. The bed is 41 1/2 inches in length, the cutters are 6". The bed and fence are rusty (the perils of living on a barrier island. I've located a web site for the importer and plan on calling them on Monday. In the meantime, any suggestions for restoring this thing? I've sprayed it down with Boshield and hit a portion of the bed with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, it removed some of the rust but there is a ways to go. I'm sure someone out there has some experience and can help me avoid any potential pitfalls.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Jay

Dean Baumgartner
04-17-2004, 2:29 PM
Jay,
Had a similar problem with all my tools after 3 years in a damp basement. WD-40 and scotch brite pads with a backer block to keep it flat worked wonders. Work in circles over the entire top to maintain the uniformity of the surface. I use Johnson's Paste Wax as a lubricant/protectant. I hear that Boshield is a better protectant but I think that the JPW leaves a slicker surface.

Robert Malone
04-18-2004, 3:55 AM
I did the same as Dean on a AMT 6-inch jointer. Took 3-days and turned out great.

Sam Chambers
04-18-2004, 6:33 PM
Jay:

I had a Shopsmith band saw in similar condition. Boeshield makes a product called "Rust Free" that works very well at removing rust without as much elbow grease. Spray it on, let it work, rinse it off. You can leave it on as long as necessary to cut through the rust. Oh, yeah...open the windows first, 'cause the stuff has a pretty strong sulphur/rotten egg odor. It's available at most woodworking supply stores for about $10.

For more info: Boeshield's Web Site (http://www.boeshield.com/)