PDA

View Full Version : Long tedious interesting vexing

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-23-2008, 2:49 PM
Describes aspects of my most recent project.

It is a recycled maple dart board cabinet that sets on it's own tripod.

The door opening and closing mechanism is what's got me. I couldn't find anything that would do what I want so, I had to design it and make it.

It's a long haul of cut and try and cut some more.

I'm making a mechanism that with one turn of a knob will pull a traditional style cabinet latch open ( up and down movement) while also drawing back a sliding bolt that engages the door opposite (side to side motion).

Greg Sznajdruk
06-23-2008, 3:21 PM
Cliff:

I'm assuming you tried to post a picture, there isn't one attached to the post. A picture would be most beneficial to understand what you have accomplished.

Greg

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-23-2008, 3:35 PM
Cliff:

I'm assuming you tried to post a picture, there isn't one attached to the post. A picture would be most beneficial to understand what you have accomplished.

Greg

HA HA

The film is still in the camera.

Eric DeSilva
06-23-2008, 5:05 PM
The ones that I've seen that do what you are asking are essentially circular plates that act as cams--if it is on the right door and you are facing the door, the upper shaft comes off at 0 deg, the "side to side" latch at 270 degrees, and the bottom shaft at 180 deg. When you rotate the latch, the circle acts like a cam and pulls the top one down, the lower one up, and the side one across. The amount of movement would be dictated by the radius of the circle. If that makes any sense at all.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-23-2008, 5:34 PM
I just did the First fully assembled test run - - and it works just like I want with a satisfying SNICK~!! and it locks shut nicely.

Prior I had been debugging one element at a time solving for parts sticking, not returning, not fitting in the space, the hardest was the synchronization of movement. One had to move more than the other wile still engaging at the same moment.
I made a sliding engagement for that last one. All the metal parts had to be hand fabricated. It's mostly steel there's only three parts that aren't. One is decorative.