PDA

View Full Version : My Laser Arrived!

Chris Hanson
06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
After months of lurking, with an occasional question posted, I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a laser. I purchased a gently used Universal M360 60 watt w/ computer air assist.

I live on an island in SE Alaska so it took a bit of choreography to get it here but it made it. And between the past owner and the Universal Rep Chris Adams's help, I unpacked, set up and lasered my first objects this weekend. I have a temporary ventilation set up. My next project is to build a "doghouse" to move the blower outside so I don't have hose strung across my office and out the door to the outside.

I definately need to hone my Corel skills (I bought it prior to the laser's arriver per forum recommendations and have been learning it.) and experiment with settings for different materials but I'm well on my way. I tried cutting and engraving acrylic, engraving anodized aluminum and even engraved my wife's moleskine notebook. (an oil-cloth covered notebook fashioned after the ones used by Hemmingway, Van Gogh, etc. and very popular right now.) Which, by the way, if anyone can give me some hints on settings, etc. for engraving moleskines, I'd appreciate it.

To my knowledge I'm the only person on the island with a laser engraver, so I'm hoping to pick up some work as I pursue my own projects (to help pay for the beast!). I've already talked to the local sign business, a couple architects and a couple others about providing services to them in the future. I'm also developing a small line of lower cost objects for my other business I'm developing that uses old vending machines (each converted into a piece of art by a different artis) to vend affordable, locally made art to our locals and tourists. (we are a major cruise ship port with about 1 million visitors annually to our little town of 7,000).

I would just like to extend my thanks to everyone for all the valuable information I've gleaned from the forum (and will continue to as I learn to efficiently operate my laser).

I'll keep you posted....

Chris
Ketchikan, AK

Phyllis Meyer
06-23-2008, 1:30 PM
Welcome to the creek Chris! The only engraver on the island...start lasering and don't stop! Best wishes as you begin your new venture!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Bruce Volden
06-23-2008, 2:26 PM
Way to go Chris!

"My next project is to build a "doghouse" to move the blower outside..."

I had a machine hooked up to a blower mounted in an enclosure secured under my roofline outside....worked well, quiet, lotsa power! Then, one time in the dead of a South Dakota winter during a "file" that was being engraved, I started hearing a whump, whump, whump and the wall was rattling :eek:
I paused things and went outside to investigate the noise. Found that the exhaust had condensed on the blades of the blower and had frozen leaving them quite unbalanced!

You are forewarned :D:D

Bruce

Bill Cunningham
06-24-2008, 9:34 PM
(we are a major cruise ship port with about 1 million visitors annually to our little town of 7,000).

Now you just have to find that little $2.00 item, that no one can turn down!!! The North Ontario, James Bay area is full of Black Spruce, spruce trees about 1-1.5" diameter (30-40 years old) are very dense, 1/4" slices engrave and finish very nicely, and make great keytags and tokens, which are sold as souvenirs in North Ontario .. I'm sure Alaska , with one of the many state icons would sell just as well to a large number of tourists.. You may be sitting on the 'next' Alaskan gold mine ;)