PDA

View Full Version : Glue wood to glass ?

Jared Martin
06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi All,
I'm finishing my first project (will post photos of it once it is done) of a wall mirror. I have a couple vertical and horizontal wood strips (about a 1/4 inche wide) which cover some of the mirror face. Unfortunately the vertical ones are a bit bowed and bow outward from the mirror face. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to secure the strips to the face of the mirror so they don't bow outward? Is there a glue out there that dries clear and would be adequate for this use?

Thanks,
Jared

Lee Koepke
06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
the force of the wood movement may be too strong for the glass if you 'secured' it , IMO.

Jared Martin
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm still learning things, but I thought wood doesn't move much in the direction of the grain (I'm using QS white oak). What if I just tacked it down in a couple places along the vertical pieces? I'm guessing I would need something that dried and stayed a bit flexible for any movement that might occur.

Lee DeRaud
06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Clear silicone tub sealer would be my choice...I'm assuming the wood is finished before it's applied.

Lee Schierer
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree with Lee. Clear silicone sealant will sick well to the wood and very well toteh glass. I've made aquariums sealing glass to glass with silicone adhesive. And rubber feet for wood items with silicone.

Jared Martin
06-23-2008, 1:00 PM
Thanks guys...will give silicone a try.