PDA

View Full Version : Removing Beeswax from Turned Bowl

John Michaels
06-23-2008, 2:09 AM
I bought this bowl from a fellow woodworker. He is just starting out and had problems with the finish (it looks blotchy). My question is what should I use to remove the beeswax finish. I'll attempt use something else to refinish (not sure what). I usually post on the general forum as I build mostly small tables and cutting boards. I'll tell you though I think a lathe might be my future, such neat things you can make.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1108263/DSC07104.jpg

Gary Max
06-23-2008, 7:25 AM
The only way I know of is ----start sanding with 120 grit sandpaper.
It's going to take some time but you can do it.
I know this ain't the answer you where looking for but it's the best I can come up with.

robert hainstock
06-23-2008, 9:03 AM
I would try furniture refinisher. It is a highly volital chemical liquid that wiil dissolve most finishes apply, let soak for a minute, remove with 0 grade steelwool. good luck. very nice bowl.:)
Bob

Russ Sears
06-23-2008, 9:14 AM
Try DNA. I'm a beekeeper and that's what I use to remove propolis from my hands. I'm pretty sure bee's wax is alchohol soluble as well.

Steve Schlumpf
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with Russ. I have used DNA to remove wax from a couple of bowls so I could change the finish. Works well and only required a light hand sanding to remove the slightly raised grain.

Ron McKinley
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Mineral spirits will remove most waxex but don't know about beeswax.......Ron

Geoff Hanha
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Im not sure how you get a beeswax finish to be blochy as it is wax and friction melts it, Mineral OIL will thin it down, just remount and put a small amount on a kitchen paper, this should then thin and reduce the beeswax then rebuff. Geoff