PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointer choices

Kelly C. Hanna
04-17-2004, 12:30 AM
I am ready to pull the trigger on a 6" Grizzly jointer...question is do I want the handwheel equipped 1182HW or the lever equipped 1182Z? Seems like the handwheels would be easier to operate....they are both the same price right now...

Dave Bartley
04-17-2004, 5:55 AM
Kelly, if you will be changing the depth of your cut often and you want them to be very accurate, you will be better off with the hand wheels. With the wheels it is easier to "dial" it in. I rarely ever change the depth settings on my jointer, so it is a moot point for me.

I do have the wheels on my Shop Fox 6" for the rare occasion that I do change the setting. This does beg the question to others on how often they change their jointer heigth.

Waymon Campbell
04-17-2004, 9:28 AM
Kelly - I have the 1182HW with the handwheels and can report that they are easy to turn and you can certainly dial in any fine adjustments easily. There are two bothersome items on the 1182HW that I had to get used to:

1) The depth of cut scale is kind of hidden behind the lock handle of the infeed table. You have to fuss with where you leave the locking handle so that you can see the depth gauge.

2) The handle that swings the fence thru the various degrees is mounted toward the top of the fence on the infeed side. Thats fine for leverage but when you are sliding a 6" or wider board on the table, and have big hands like me, you tend to knock your knuckles on the knob. Since 95% of the time I am at 90deg on the fence, I remove the knob until needed.

All that said, I would certainly recommend the 1182HW and would buy another.

Kent Cori
04-17-2004, 8:29 PM
Kelly,

I have had the 1182HW for over a year and am very happy with its performance. It worked fine right out of the box and has done so every day since.

Jim VanBramer
04-17-2004, 9:20 PM
I just picked up the 1182Z, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to adjust with the levers. That said, I still think you could fine tune the cuts more accurately using the wheels, especially if they're the same price.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-18-2004, 1:28 AM
I think I will go with the HW. Just gonna check the classifieds tomorrow first....ya never know.:D

Mark Rios
04-18-2004, 10:42 AM
There are a couple of other differences between the two. The Z model comes with a one-piece base while the HW has a base that comes in a number of pieces and you have to put it together. The one-piece base is very beefy and has the switch mounted on the front instead of the side, under the table.

The Z model also comes with a dust hood with a four inch opening for dust collection that bolts on while the HW just has the square chute coming out the side. You have to buy the dust hood separate for the HW.

I had given a lot of thought toward the handwheels also before I bought mine but the one piece base and the dust hood meant upgraded stuff that I didn't have to buy so I got the Z model. I quickly found that the levers, while very easy to adjust, didn't get any use after the initial set-up and therefore were a complete non-issue.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Good points Mark...I may have to reconsider since I doubt I'll be changing the settings much after the initial setup. I like the idea of a beefy stand versus a cheap cabinet I have to put together. And the price is right this week for sure.

John Miliunas
04-18-2004, 3:50 PM
Kelly, I've had my HW for about a year now. No regrets except, at the time I bought it, I didn't have room for the 8" model. Two months or so later, I found out I was going into a bigger shop! :( Yes, I had to assemble the cabinet, which was kind of a PITA. I also modified the dust chute for a 6" port. From what I understand, all of the Grizz 6" units are pretty much identical ones, save for the "extra's" and enhancements. The main business end of the machine is the same. BUT, that's a heckuva' good deal on the "Z" model! As others have said, adjusting the tables is an operation rarely performed for most uses, once you've got it set to your liking. With the favorable price point currently on the "Z", I'd say, "Go for it!" :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
04-19-2004, 8:54 AM
I am going to make the rounds of a few stores today in search of a good deal on a local jointer. If I don't find one by the time I arrive at Austin Hardwoods to get the first load of Oak for my newest project, I'll pull the trigger on the Z when I get home. I tried the levers out on a cheapo Delta at Lowe's newest metroplex store yesterday and was suprised at how easily they operate. Like it's been said, I don't expect to be changing the tables very often. I am also in search of a beginner dust collector setup...gonna be a fun day!!:D

Brian Triplett
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
How did you pick the grizzly out of all the other 6" jointers? I am currently in the market for a 6" jointer and pretty much narrowed it down to Grizzly and Sunhill. I am just wondering what lead you to the Grizzly.

John Miliunas
04-19-2004, 11:50 AM
How did you pick the grizzly out of all the other 6" jointers? I am currently in the market for a 6" jointer and pretty much narrowed it down to Grizzly and Sunhill. I am just wondering what lead you to the Grizzly.
I looked at the Sunhill, as well, before ordering from Grizz. It was a tossup, but I found many more users of the Grizz units and enough positive comments to warrant my buying decision to go with Grizzly. Besides, Bill Crofutt is their main Customer Service dude and member of this forum, who incidently, does monitor the forum and makes sure the Grizz customers here are well taken care of. :) I've not been disappointed! Just my personal experience and YMMV. The usual Grizzly association disclaimers, etc, bla-bla...apply. :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
04-19-2004, 3:38 PM
I picked them because I know a couple of people locally who have Grizzly equipment and have been very happy. I also picked them on price. It is hard to beat a 6" jointer delivered to the door with a mobile base for $440.

I have one more call to make before I call Grizzly and order the Z...

Bart Leetch
04-19-2004, 8:39 PM
I have a small shop & use a 6" jointer my thought is I wouldn't worry unduly about the jointer base as long as it is solid when assembled. I am going to make a new base for mine so the top of the fence is just below the top surface of my table saw that is sits next to. I know many people don't make their own tool bases but I wish I had done this long ago. I started with making the base for my contractors table saw & will continue doing this with the rest of my tools. Two things this does for me is make the tools set at the height that works best for me & fits my shop better. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
04-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, I came home without finding anything, but the last store I went to was an unbelievable place....I found a Lobo Jointer I wanted, but it was $910!

They had used equipment and if the Powermatic 6" had been 1 phase, I'd have bought it. They had it tagged at $500 and it was an older unit (not sure what year). The place was in a very unlikely part of town not far from our house, but very far away from the other WW'ing stores. In one building they had a huge PM bandsaw that stood at least 10' high! They also had radial arm saws from Italy and a couple of huge sliding tablesaws. I will be watching that place for good deals in the future.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the Grizzly 1182HW. The 'Z' is a backordered item and I decided I really didn't care about the stand that much. Thanks to everyone who responded...can't wait to get my first jointer!!
:D :D :D

Boyd Gathwright
04-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi Kelly,

Terry Hatfield and I are very much pleased with our GRIZZLY G0500 eight (8) inch jointers. Reasonably priced and doing very well. Hope this helps your decision making a little easier.
<O:p</O:p

Ref: 4” to 6” Dust Port on Griz G0500 Jointer (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7794)

Ref: http://www.terryhatfield.com/ (http://www.terryhatfield.com/)

<O:p</O:p

Boyd :)

I am ready to pull the trigger on a 6" Grizzly jointer...question is do I want the handwheel equipped 1182HW or the lever equipped 1182Z? Seems like the handwheels would be easier to operate....they are both the same price right now...

Kelly C. Hanna
04-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Clarke Bros called this morning...my new jointer will be here tomorrow! :D :D :D :D