PDA

View Full Version : chair back angle

Robin Cruz
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Whats a good angle for a back angle for a rocking chair? Referenced to the seat when horizontal? I have plans that show a 4 degree slant. Seems like the chair back would want more slant for comfort.
any thoughts?

Mike Henderson
06-23-2008, 12:37 AM
For a rocking chair, I'd want more than 4* of tilt from the vertical. I'd want at at least 7*. Also, the shape of the back is very important. If you can put in some lower back support it really helps to make the chair seem comfortable. I have pictures of a rocking chair that I made here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/mikes_projects.htm). Scroll down a bit for the pixs.

Mike

[Dining room chairs are pretty straight backed. 4* would probably be good on those but not on a rocker.]

Jim Becker
06-23-2008, 8:33 AM
There are a lot of variables here including the actual design of the chair. This is one kind of project that constructing a mock-up is almost essential to be able to identify the right combination of angles for both the seat and the chair back.

lowell holmes
06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I recall 7 degrees. Paul Sellers had a 2 issue article in WoodWork Nagazine issues 90 and 91. If you can get your hands on those issues, check it out. I built the chair and it is incredably comfortable.

Robin Cruz
06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I recall 7 degrees. Paul Sellers had a 2 issue article in WoodWork Nagazine issues 90 and 91. If you can get your hands on those issues, check it out. I built the chair and it is incredably comfortable.

thats great input. I'll check to see if they sell back issues and still have it.
On the craftsman rocker I built, it has a 4 degree chair back slant. I had the family sit in it and critique. They said that the rocker should tilt back more. I think they were really saying the chair back should angle back more relative to the seat.

I also felt the chair back top was to low as I felt it was more comfortable if I could rest my head against it.

The plans I used were from an antique probably made for smaller frames then mine ( 6' 1" 200lbs).

thanks again