PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen?

Victor Stearns
06-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Greetings Creekers,
I am interested in a low-angle jack plane. I had the
opportunity to use a Lie-Nielsen low angle plane this past week. SWEET!!! Of course it was tuned up and shaving unbeliveable ribbons. Now, which is better? With both Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley in the business, and understanding that there are as many opinions as planes, Has anyone had the chance to use both? And why did you like one verse the other?
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1247

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52515&cat=1,41182

Thanks
Victor

Joel Goodman
06-22-2008, 11:08 PM
The LV is larger -- I think more like a 5 1/2. The LN (which I have) is like a 5. The LN mouth adjustment has a sort of cam lever same as a 9 1/2 or 60; The LV doesn't have this but has a set screw type knob so that you can reset to the same opening. Both great planes.

Doug Shepard
06-23-2008, 5:46 AM
The big plus with the LV is that you can use the optional higher angle blades in their BU Jointer and Smoother. I've never used the LV BU Jack but I have their BU Jointer (a great plane BTW) and it's the same design & construction. I had a LN LA Jack long before the LV's came out. I give the edge on the mouth adustment to the LN. It feels much more solid to me and movement during adjustment more positive. I've also had the screw on the mouth adj. loosen and turn out just enough to cause shavings to clog. I'm not sure what the weight difference is but based on the LV Jointer I would suspect them to be about the same even though the LV is slightly larger. If I were buying now I'd be real tempted to go with LV due to the blade interchangability with their other planes, but I sure do love that LN Jack.

Rob Luter
06-23-2008, 6:19 AM
I've tried both and both are nice. I bought the LV as I find it to be a more flexible design. The ability to set the mouth opening is really handy as are the different blade angles. I use it as a jack, for shooting end grain, jointing shorter boards for glue-ups, and for smoothing. I purchased the three different blades (in A2) as their BU Smoother was intended to be my next purchase. I find I often use the LA Jack as a smoother so I don't know when that purchase might happen.

Raney Nelson
06-23-2008, 9:36 AM
The big plus with the LV is that you can use the optional higher angle blades in their BU Jointer and Smoother...

I don't know that I see this as much of an advantage - Derek Cohen has recommended skipping the high angle blades, and instead just using secondary bevels on a 25 -deg blade. I completely agree with his reasoninig - in the long run I think they're much easier to deal with. You can easily do this with either LV or LN.

I own the LV, and have used both. I prefer the LV because it's a bit wider, and this means on the shooting board it can handle a bit thicker stock. On my board, the LN can handle just a tad mre than 1-3/4", while the LV can easily handle 2".

I somewhat prefer the LV mouth adjustment, though this is really not something I'd base my decision on. I think I may have adjusted the mouth once in 2-1/2 years...

Derek Cohen
06-23-2008, 9:39 AM
LV have really set the standards when it comes to BU planes. Their LA Jack, for example, has several advanced features over the LN version: Norris-type blade adjustment, improved mouth adjuster, mouth depth stop, side set screws, greater heft in a slighter longer and wider plane, and the ability to share blades with other BU planes.

For BD planes think LN. They set the standard here. But for BU planes, the LV rule in performance (although the LN really are pretty).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don C Peterson
06-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I tend to like, and buy the LN products. I'm not so sure that some of the features of the LV planes are really advantages. Some folks like the interchangeable irons which means extra width on the smoother and jack models, on the other hand, I think there are good reasons to have different widths as you move up and down the size ladder. Ultimately, when it came time to purchase, the LN planes felt better in my hands and looked a lot nicer to my eyes.

Sometimes I do wish that LN would move a bit quicker on the product development. I'd love to see them introduce a plow (plough) plane for instance, but they are not nearly as prolific as LV in the development of new products. I don't know if that's because they are just so careful and meticulous, or if they are just slow...?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either company though, they both provide top notch service and excellent products.

Jesse Cloud
06-23-2008, 10:29 AM
That question has no wrong answer.:D I have both LV and LN planes and whichever one I'm using at the time is my favorite.

Joel Goodman
06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Whichever you get I would get an extra blade and sharpen it at a higher angle -- a microbevel is fine. I have one at 25 and one at 37 but depending on the wood you may want to go higher. The included angle is 12 plus the bevel so the 37 gives me 49 or about York pitch (50). Have fun with your new plane.

glenn bradley
06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Ford Chevy argument Victor. You'll get fans in both camps. Both are very nice makers with different methods. I went LV bevel up with extra blades with different angles but, it was a back and forth till I finally landed on the LV.

Michael Faurot
06-23-2008, 1:30 PM
I don't know that I see this as much of an advantage - Derek Cohen has recommended skipping the high angle blades, and instead just using secondary bevels on a 25 -deg blade. I completely agree with his reasoninig - in the long run I think they're much easier to deal with. You can easily do this with either LV or LN.

For me, I find having multiple A2 blades, each pre-ground with the specified angle (including the high angle) a huge advantage and much easier to deal with. When I sharpen, I do it freehand, and past experience has shown me that trying to deal with back bevels is more trouble than it's worth.

Derek Cohen
06-23-2008, 1:38 PM
Michael

Please keep in mind that my recommendation (as Raney noted) is for when you plan to camber a high angle BU blade. If you don't plane to hone a camber, then use a blade with a high primary grind. It will facilitate easier freehand sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Raney Nelson
06-23-2008, 3:05 PM
Agreed - I should have mentioned that if you freehand hone then you will probably prefer not using sec. bevels. I do freehand hone, but I only use a 25-deg for my jack - it basically stays on the shooting board - so this is a non-issue for me. I have dedicated high-angle smoothers for the rough stuff.

Mark Stutz
06-23-2008, 4:21 PM
Godd advice from many more experienced than I...but if you have the opportunity, try out, or at least hold the LV in your hand. i find the totes less than comfortable for me to use. I was very dissappointed when I tried them for the first time at a WW show. I was al ready to order a couple until that time. I think Derek has done some after market modifications, and I may eventually go that route too. Others find them very comfortable and ergonomic...just individual preference.

Mark

Brian Kent
06-23-2008, 6:08 PM
I agree with Mark - except just the opposite. The Lie-Nielsen was fantastic when I tried it at a woodworking show, except the tote wasn't quite right. The Lee Valley was perfect for me. That's why they don't make just one size of shoes or gloves.

Chris Kennedy
06-24-2008, 5:11 PM
I have the LV low-angle jack and I find it to be a fantastic plane. I tried the LN at Woodcraft, and I wasn't as impressed. I think the adjustable mouth is fantastic. I have used it for face planing and edge planing. I even managed to edge plane plywood with it, which I just didn't think would be possible.

I know that many people have their issues with the LV totes. I am not one of them. I think a year or two back, LV altered the tote design a little and a lot of the complaints have started to disappear.

As a matter of full disclosure, I have a LN #4 and a LV scrub. They are all fantastic planes, anyway you look at it.

Cheers,

Chris

glenn bradley
06-24-2008, 6:01 PM
Godd advice from many more experienced than I...but if you have the opportunity, try out, or at least hold the LV in your hand. i find the totes less than comfortable for me to use. I was very dissappointed when I tried them for the first time at a WW show. I was al ready to order a couple until that time. I think Derek has done some after market modifications, and I may eventually go that route too. Others find them very comfortable and ergonomic...just individual preference.

Mark

I agree with Mark - except just the opposite. The Lie-Nielsen was fantastic when I tried it at a woodworking show, except the tote wasn't quite right. The Lee Valley was perfect for me. That's why they don't make just one size of shoes or gloves.

Mark and Brian give credence to Mark's recommendation to hold one for yourself. Also, different totes and handles are available. The LN felt great but the LV fit like a glove. I am lean-built and my hands are not small but they don't carry any extra padding. Larger grips usually fit me better. Try them for yourself and then decide.