PDA

View Full Version : Hinge installation question

Tom Henderson2
06-22-2008, 9:30 PM
Greetings everyone.

As you know I'm a newb. So forgive what is probably a very basic question for many of you.

I'm making a small box, about 11" long by 5" wide by 3" high. Material is 1/2" oak.

After cutting the hinge mortises and installing the hinges, I was disappointed to see that the top and bottom portions of the box aren't properly aligned; the top is shifted back about 1/32 along the entire length of the box.

Looking closely, I can see that I didn't get the hinges installed properly; the hinges are set further in on the bottom than the top. So now the top is not quite lined up to the bottom.

Fixing it is easy to visualize; I just have to shift the hinges 1/32 further towards the center of the box on the box bottom.

I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. I can enlarge the mortises easy enough, but how do I shift the holes for the hinge screws? The screw diameter is only 1/16 or maybe less. So it seems like I need to fill the holes and redrill somehow.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2008, 9:34 PM
HI, I think you answered your own question about filling in the holes and redrilling. But with just 1/32" why couldn't you just plane that off and make the lid and box even? Let us know what you think.

Steve Flavin001
06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
- if your hinge is 1" wide, use new hinges 1 1/2" wide for example and start anew, depth of hinge, presumably 1/2" stays the same. :cool:

Cary Swoveland
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Tom,

If you plan to make more boxes, you might want to consider investing in Beall's Hinge Wizard: http://www.bealltool.com/products/hardware/wizard.php . I've been happy with mine. Templates are available for various Brusso and other box hinges, but you could also make your own templates for other hinges. I like the Brusso 101 hinges for boxes of the size you're making. They're pricey, but very nice.

Cary

Steve Flavin001
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Rockler has one too, and its larger and more versatile - but, of course even more expensive - $92, :eek: so I won't expect you to stampede to the nearest store. :rolleyes:

Also: How to avoid the crooked lid syndrome when hinging box lids: :cool:

Swing the top open 180 deg flat on its back, up against the lower portion.

Place the hinges using either the sharp edge of the opened flat hinge inside the pin at the visible gap, placed flush with the back edge of the box and lid edges to assure straight alignment or;

swing the the hinge as far back as it will go, 110 degrees and use that edge guide to align it to the case or:

place the front edge of the hinge, using a small scrap of material or anything flat inside the case and lid held with tape as a stop for the hinge in position or;

use a small narrow piano hinge same depth as your butt hinges, which is probably the easiest and most fool proof way of alll. :p

Install the hinge with only one screw on each side until test opening and closing show it is aligned properly. If hinges have 3 holes, use center hole for self alignment.

Andrew Hughes
06-23-2008, 1:07 AM
I have done that before.To make new holes glue some tooth picks in the hole i have used yellow or quick set like epoxy crazy glue if i dont want to wait.Drill new holes little bit inwards to draw the hinge in the mortice.I like to start my holes with a pin vise for accuracy.Hope this helps

Tom Henderson2
06-23-2008, 1:17 AM
I have done that before.To make new holes glue some tooth picks in the hole i have used yellow or quick set like epoxy crazy glue if i dont want to wait.Drill new holes little bit inwards to draw the hinge in the mortice.I like to start my holes with a pin vise for accuracy.Hope this helps

Sounds too easy... and it might even pay to drill out the existing hole for a 1/8" or maybe even 1/4" dowel.... gives more surface area and maybe better meat for the screws.

Thanks to all that took the time to respond -- I truly appreciate the help and as usual, have learned a bunch in the process.

-TH

Joe Scharle
06-23-2008, 11:24 AM
On small boxes, I carpet tape the hinges to both pieces and when it all fits, I vix the holes on my DP in each hinge right thru the tape. Remove the tape and mount the hinges. I have a radial DP, which makes doing the lid easier.

Greg Sznajdruk
06-23-2008, 3:32 PM
Tom:

I have a couple of these one in my shop & one in the truck.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32280&cat=1,180,42240,53317

Greg

Doug Shepard
06-23-2008, 6:07 PM

I've done the toothpick thing too and Ive never had any problems with the fix. For small box hinges the screw holes are pretty small. What's worked best for me is for a round toothpick to take up the bulk of the hole then start slipping the thinner flat ones in to fill any remaining gaps.

Vince Shriver
06-23-2008, 6:23 PM
Maybe not an option, but you could cut the box down the thickness of the mortise, plug the holes as suggested above, and give it a second attempt.