PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down a lathe

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
06-22-2008, 9:11 PM
Has any one been able to convert their lathe to VS? Does any one know if using a VS control unit ment for a router work on a Jet 1220...or would a reostat used to dim lights work? Electrons are electrons...right?

I need to slow my lathe down to 30-60 rpm for finishing some pens, etc. Any options other than buying a new VS lathe?

Thanks for all the good stuff in the past.

Dr.R.

curtis rosche
06-22-2008, 9:19 PM
you can buy a kit for not to much. the router control is to small. a reostat wouldnt work right. i looked into these things when i was working on one of my plans for a lathe. if you spend the money and buy a vfd that also converts 1 phase to 3 phase, you could use 3 phase motors, and you can use it for more than one machine if you put a plug on it

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
06-22-2008, 9:33 PM
Thanks Curtis,
But what is a "vfd", and where does one get one?

Dr.R.

Jim Becker
06-22-2008, 9:58 PM
A router speed control will not work on an induction motor...it may even damage it. The method that Curtis mentions would require replacement of your motor with a 3-phase motor as well as acquisition of the VFD. (variable frequency drive controller) This really isn't very practical for a mini lathe, IMHO, at least from a cost standpoint.

You might check with Jet to see what it would cost for the parts to retrofit your 1220 from it's present setup to the VS version...if it can be done at all.

Bruce Pennell
06-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Richard you might give Penn State Ind. (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html) a call they sell a VS unit for the smaller jet for $99. I know that is a 1/2 hp motor, maybe they can steer you toward one for a 3/4 hp. Hope this helps...Bruce

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
if you were to get a vfd, you could get a bigger motor, and then just use the same set up if you ever get a bigger lathe.

the psi kit that bruce said is the one that i was thinking of.

i know you didnt ask this, but is it really practical to have a VS on a mini? you would still need to change the belts,

robert hainstock
06-23-2008, 3:59 PM
VFD, or variable frequency drive changes the motoir speed by changing the frequency, (away from 60HZ) to change the motor speed. The PSI unit uses Direct Current and avariable resister, (reostat) to change the speed. If your lathe motor has NO brishes, You need a VFD unit. The PSI unit is a replacement motor. I hope someone will come along with a source for you soon. You might try to google varible frequency drive. :eek::):)
Bob

Bob Hallowell
06-23-2008, 4:12 PM
Look at John Shuks post it has another resorce for this very thing.

Bob

Jon McCoy
06-23-2008, 5:27 PM
I need to slow my lathe down to 30-60 rpm for finishing some pens, etc. Any options other than buying a new VS lathe?
You can replace the motor and switch with a variable speed kit, but that won't get you slower speeds, just help you avoid moving the belt to change speed. According to the specs, the Jet 1220VS goes down to 270rpm, but that's with a different pulley set than the 1220 uses. Note that you'll have less power/torque available at those lower speeds, too.

In fact, the only larger lathes that go that slow are the ones with (relatively expensive) 3-phase motors and electronic variable speed controllers which use VFD to operate the motor from zero to too fast while maintaining torque.

For 30rpm on a mini, you're pretty much paying a neighbor kid to turn the headcrank for you.

-jon-

steve denison
06-23-2008, 9:15 PM
I recently completed upgrading my antique Delta to variable speed by taking the 1HP Leeson DC motor from an old treadmill and the Murtek (sp?) speed controller from the same. The result is a silky smooth zero to 1500 RPM with tons of torque and the best part - it was FREE!

Keep your eyes open for an old treadmill and see if you can make the motor work in your lathe - you'll love it!

Jon Behnke
06-23-2008, 9:24 PM
Why would you want the lathe to run so slow? I have the Jet 1220 also and have made a bunch of pens and never had the need for that kind of speed. I generally apply a CA finish with no problems.

Bob Hallowell
06-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Why would you want the lathe to run so slow? I have the Jet 1220 also and have made a bunch of pens and never had the need for that kind of speed. I generally apply a CA finish with no problems.

For bowls I sometimes turn around 50rpm to start. Sorry edit in- I didn't read the whole first post right. I am not sure why you would slow it down to finish pens.

Bob

James Gillespie, Jr.
06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
The slow speed is useful for Lacquer on pens, helps prevent runs and sags while it cures.

My suggestion would be to head to your local borg and get a rotisserie unit from a grill. Modify it to suit your purposes, and there you go. You have a nice slow speed finishing/curing rack, and you can still use your lathe for the next project. :D

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
06-24-2008, 7:46 PM
James,
Thanks...I already have a rotisserie unit that is not being used. The BBQ rusted out and is gone, but I keep the motor unit cause you never when it might come into use, I had just forgot i still had it.

That's the amazing thing about having ADD, you are always finding things you never knew you lost.

Thanks agian....and that was exactly why I wanted the slow speed... Dr. R.

James Gillespie, Jr.
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Glad to help! :cool: And you don't have to worry about over heating the lathe motor by turning it slower than it was intended.

Cheers,
James

Frank Hasty
07-14-2008, 9:40 PM
I guess I'm old fashioned, I have a '50s vintage Craftsman lathe with a 1750 rpm motor driving through a pair of four step sheaves, and I really like it. It is rigged so that speed changes are quick and simple. The absolute best thing I ever did to it was to put a reversing switch on the motor.

Jon McCoy
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Variable speed isn't something you absolutely need, but you can sure get used to having it. A reverse switch is the same way -- don't need it, but it's awful handy when sanding. Adding reverse to my 1220 would rank pretty high on my list of worthwhile modifications (along with fatter "pickle" handles on the tailstock and toolrest levers).

Mike Minto
07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
it's 'meant', and 'rheostat', there, doc. hehe, mike

Reed Gray
07-15-2008, 1:27 PM
I use slow speeds, down to 10 rpm for sanding my warped bowls. It is better than turning it by hand, and with some of the really warped ones, that is even too fast. The variable speed is some thing that once you have it, you can't imagine how you lived without it. At least for this bowl turner.
robo hippy