PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market Block Plane Find and Old 220 Parts question

Peter Quinn
06-22-2008, 7:07 PM
A few months back I dropped my grampa's Stanley 220 block plane on the concrete floor and smashed the lever cap beyond use. The rest is unharmed. I have rubber mats around my bench but the old girl found a knot, flew out of my hand, and landed on an unprotected spot! It was my daily go to tool and I miss it. I felt him roll over and yell at me.

Been looking for a replacement, considered a Veritas adjustable mouth standard angle to be the one till I found, after many months of looking at a large weekly flea market an older Stanley 9 1/2 in great shape. Bought it for $25, the blade looked like it had never been sharpened, it has the older 11 slot set up for adjustment. I spent about an hour tuning it up today and it works like a dream. Everything is tight and no pitting, shaves gossamer thin ribbons effortlessly. I've seen a lot of rusty junk at this market and a lot of antique dealers selling beauties at a premium, not much in between so I feel lucky to have found a near new old plane I can use and afford.

My old 220 had been getting cranky from a life time of use, lots of slop in the adjustments and the lever cap lever was pretty worn. I'd like to get a replacement lever cap and put her back into service, or at least return her to serviceable for sentimental reasons. Anybody know of a source for parts such as lever caps for older stanley planes?

Jim Koepke
06-22-2008, 9:56 PM
I see replacement parts for sale all the time on eBay. I have a search saved for Stanley plane part. You may want to set up a couple of searches or use the advance search. Some will list it as a Stanley part, others may just call it a lever cap without including Stanley. Make sure it is the correct size before bidding.

If you do not want to go that route, I would try many of the folks here like Clint Jones, or Johnny Kleso. Also a good source for parts is Bob Kaune.

The adjusting threads often get worn by not totally loosening the lever cap when adjusting the blade. Having the lever cap too tight can cause cracks at the edge of the mouth.

Good luck,

jim

Rob Luter
06-23-2008, 6:30 AM
Try Chuck (www.thetoolfool.com (http://www.thetoolfool.com)). I picked up a nice lever cap for a #220 from him a few weeks ago. Walt at Brass City tools (brass@snet.net) had some too. Both sources were reasonably priced.

Peter Quinn
06-23-2008, 6:13 PM
Thanks for the tips. The adjustment screw is in fact quite worn and the lever on the lever cap is worn to the point where it doesn't hold the blade so tightening the screw is necessary to keep the blade snug. Oddly even given these flaws it is still a decent working tool with a sharp blade. Not the height of precision, but usable non the less.

Richard Niemiec
06-24-2008, 9:37 AM
Anybody know of a source for parts such as lever caps for older stanley planes?

Give Walt at Brass City Records a call, great guy, and he likely can fix you up with a lever cap. Google Brass City Records and you'll find his phone number.