PDA

View Full Version : RAS Table Height

Russ Hauser
06-22-2008, 5:49 PM
I am restoring a Craftsman RAS that suffered outside in FL humidity, under a porch roof for much of its life. I am telling this at the risk of being told to use it as an anchor for my boat. Everything on the saw seems to be working, but I left the stand it was sitting on as being not worth the trouble to haul it home. I need to know what would be a "comfortable" table height from the floor to the top surface of the table? I am replacing the yoke bearings and the rails they run on. These parts are the only ones that seem to have been rusted beyond repair.

Russ

Gary Lange
06-22-2008, 6:42 PM
I have the same saw and have it at 36". If you go here you can find a lot of information and download a Manual. http://www.owwm.com/

Frank Drew
06-22-2008, 7:03 PM
Russ,

I think it's totally dependent on your own height; I like to work without stooping over, but table height higher than your elbow might force you to reach up too much, which can be just as tiring.

Any shops around where you can measure their RAS table height?

Jim O'Dell
06-22-2008, 7:46 PM
I matched mine to my TS. In fact, every table I have in my shop is built to that height. The BS is the only tool that is lower right now, and I have plans to change that to match. Jim.

Russ Hauser
06-22-2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks guys.

Russ

Peter Quinn
06-22-2008, 8:23 PM
My RAS is 34" from the finished floor to working table. I am 5'7" and this works for me. In your own shop you should set the height to be comfortable for you.

Tom Henderson2
06-22-2008, 9:48 PM
Until recently I owned a Sears RAS; when installed on the Sears leg set it was about 40" high.

If you have a Sears nearby you can go "test drive" that height....

-Tom H