PDA

View Full Version : Why does this look so country?

Wade Lippman
06-22-2008, 5:30 PM
It is the base of a cherry china cabinet; the top is still in process. It was supposed to be contemporary; the one I copied was teak and quite modern looking.
I think maybe the wood is too curly.
My wife thinks the top should have been even with the sides and rounded, instead of square and extending 3/4". (I had a good reason for that, but off hand I can't remember what it was.)
What do you think?

Neal Clayton
06-22-2008, 5:33 PM
because the hardware is too ornate and it doesn't have feet.

straight short feet on the bottom and nickel/stainless hardware would make it 180 degrees different, imo.

John Shuk
06-22-2008, 6:17 PM
I think first the hinges and pulls and second the overall shape to strike me as more contemporary would have to be a little leaner. By that I would like to see in on legs with a more acute rectangle. I'd go for a more acute rectangle for the drawer fronts as well.
All that said I like the piece and it looks well made.

Jimmy Horrocks
06-22-2008, 6:22 PM
Hardwares not right and grain direction on doors is off.

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2008, 6:46 PM
Agree completely with the hardware thing. Lose the hinges and go with some "euro" style concealed hinges. Then swap the pulls out with something like this:
http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?ID=4&action=detail&partCode=DP414
and stick four of these under it:
http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?ID=4&action=detail&partCode=FL2/LV8

I promise it will not look "country" anymore!

Peter Quinn
06-22-2008, 6:47 PM
Ditto the hardware. Go with something lighter and more sleek in a satin nickel, chrome or brushed stainless finish, loose the antique bronze with the cherry.

I'd either build a pedestal with some short tapered feet or source some metal tube or square feet to lift it up. I probably would have used less figured wood, particularly for the door rails and styles, hard to change that now. I like vertical grain or rift sawn material for door frames on contemporary pieces, that plain grain lets the panel material speak more directly.

It looks well made, just a bit busy, a few minor changes should push it in the direction you seek.

Peter Quinn
06-22-2008, 6:51 PM
Another thought would be to make a proper 'top' to separate the base from the upper part of the unit, possibly something with a mitered frame, plywood center and a back bevel to the underside like a shaker raised panel upside down. It can lift and lighten things a bit. The case looks a bit 'unfinished' without a top.

Doug Shepard
06-22-2008, 6:58 PM
The handles were the first thing that jumped out at me. I'd make some wooden ones of contrasting wood (ebony, wenge, walnut, etc). I thought Jamie Buxton had a good article on making your own but it doesn't seem to be in the Articles forum any more. Maybe the hinges too, but I think I'd just try the handles first and see if that isn't enough.

Jack Camillo
06-22-2008, 7:45 PM
honestly I think it has less to do with the hardware (an easy fix), than it has to do with the design (can't really fix that). Put it in the shop for tools and start again, chalking it up to experience. It's actually beautiful wood and the construction looks well done. Again, though, it's a design problem in my opinion.

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2008, 11:35 PM
"...it's a design problem..."

To a point, it is. It's the "half overlay" look that says "kitchen cabinets". Much better for a "contemporary" design would be a "full overlay" or flush inset" design. But I would not go quite so far as to relegate the piece to the shop. It's not a disaster or anything and the suggestions offered as to hardware and how the cabinet is "footed" will help a lot. But you are correct in that there is something to be learned here and that is how you get "experience"

scott spencer
06-23-2008, 6:55 AM
The handles were the first thing that caught my attention...even though they're very nice, and I've used some that were similar, they're not a contemporary looking set. I also agree with Peter Quinn's idea for the feet. Good luck....I honestly don't think your that far off.

Dewey Torres
06-23-2008, 9:10 AM
After you change the hardware, put a 1/8 maple inlay strip around the doors and drawer fronts. That will get it looking way better.

my .02

Dewey

glenn bradley
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
No shadow line at the base (feet), random figure on the drawer fronts, the wrought hardware and the color (at least in the pic) all tend to present a country feel to me. But I'm no expert ;-)

Wade Lippman
06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I tried chrome knobs. It certainly looks more modern, but rather more like office furniture now. Well, the decision is my wife's.

Reading everyone's comments (for which I sincerely thank you) and thinking about it all, I figure I should have:
1) used a well defined base
2) used euro hinges
3) had 4 drawers
But the upper cabinet is nearly done; I will hold off panicking until I see how that looks. Might change everything.

Also attached is another cherry cabinet with the same doors and hinges as this one. The old one is the look I was going for. Perhaps it is just lighter...