PDA

View Full Version : Cutting formica coutertop

Ron McAllister
06-22-2008, 5:22 PM
I have never cut a formica top before, if using a circular saw, should it be scribed then cut upside down? And if on the table saw maybe right side up. If I am on the right track, I am leaning towards a 40 to 60 tooth on a 10 inch blade, and not sure on the circular. I have to use both saws as the lengths warrant such.

Neal Clayton
06-22-2008, 5:30 PM
rather than spending 50 bucks on a sawblade, i would recommend one of those miniature bosch colt routers instead + a simple particle board straight edge to guide it with.

those little routers will fit in all kinds of tight spaces and you'll find enough uses for it to justify the 100 bucks that they cost pretty quick, in all likelihood.

Hank Knight
06-22-2008, 6:03 PM
Ron,

When you say "formica top" are you referring to the plastic alone or the plastic after it has been glued to the substrate?

If you're asking how to cut the formica sheet, there are several ways. I score mine with a carbide scoring tool (available for abot $10 from your local big box store) and then break it along the score line. Score the "show" side. I usually clamp it to the edge of my bench with the score line up and snap it along the score line. It doesn't break smoothly, but the scribed line keeps the break manageable. Cut it a little oversize and use a flush trim bit to cut it to size after you glue it down. You can also cut sheet formica with a router and carbide trimming bit or on the table saw. If you cut it on the table saw, use a fine tooth blade and cut it show side up. Be careful and don't let it slip under your fence while you're cutting. :eek: DAMHIKT I find scoring it and breaking it the fastest and easiest way, but YMMV.

If you're cutting the glued-up panel, you can cut it on a tablesaw with a sharp carbide-tipped blade. Cut it with the formica on top. If you put the formica on the bottom, you'll get serious chip out. I actually prefer to do final edge cuts on a tablesaw, particularly if I'm going to glue on an edge band. I get a much smoother cut than with a flush trim router bit.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-22-2008, 6:19 PM
Hank gave some good advice.

Another way to cut Formica sheet material (before laminating to substrate) is to use bullnose snips commonly used for sheet metal.

-Jeff :)

Ed Peters
06-22-2008, 6:37 PM
of the post formed countertop from the big box store. If so, a jig and your circular saw with a fine tooth blade are all that is required. I happen to have such a jig and can forward pictures if that would be any help.

Ed

Matt Ocel
06-22-2008, 6:40 PM
Yeah -

What kind of cut do you want to make?

My tool of trade is the jigsaw with a down stroke blade.
I use the belt sander alot also.

Jim O'Dell
06-22-2008, 7:42 PM
I use a 60 tooth plastics/laminate blade both when cutting sheet laminate before it is glued up, and for MDF/laminate sections. Laminate up, and with a zero clearance insert for the blade is the way I do sections already laminated to the MDF. Actually it's the way I cut the laminate alone, too. :p Jim.