PDA

View Full Version : Marking Centers

Don L Johnson
06-22-2008, 4:15 PM
I need to mark the centers of the ends of a board. Some of the pieces are only 1 1/2" wide. I've seen the tool for larger boards, but nothing for smaller boards. I want something that I put my own pencil in, as I often use walnut, so have to have white lead. I need to mark the centers so I can have a cross to line up my FMT for tenoning and mortising.

Does anyone have a source for such a tool?

Neal Clayton
06-22-2008, 5:20 PM
i don't think the accuracy of anything other than the ruler on a square would give much benefit. as long as you have boards of identical thickness they will center themselves vertically, you just need to use the same mark you put on the tenon for your lateral center mark.

Dell Littlefield
06-22-2008, 5:26 PM
I just keep a ruler or tape handy that is marked in cm. Very easy to find the center if you don't use fractions.

harry strasil
06-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Have you considered one of the older Stanley doweling jigs that have the drill bushing clamped into the sliding center piece? Infinitely adjustable and just clamp your pencil in the bushing holder.

Don L Johnson
06-23-2008, 4:11 PM
Harry,

Good idea...I just happen to have one of those old dowelling jigs. Thanks for all the input.