PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft store grandopening?

Jim Ketron
04-16-2004, 9:54 PM
Hello everyone! Woodcraft has just built a new store about 25 miles from home, and having grandopening 4/17 does anyone shop at Woodcraft stores? is it worth the trip. Its the only dedicated woodworking store around here. Do they have good deals?
Jim

Bob_Hammond
04-16-2004, 10:34 PM
You have to go to see what all they have. They'll have a good selection of things that you can't get anywhere else locally, but the prices aren't the greatest. Occasionally something will be on sale for a good price. The stores around here they have some people who are pretty knoweledgeable. They also offer classes which you might find interesting. I try to buy things there even if they aren't the best price just to support them.

Bob

Wolf Kiessling
04-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Ditto what Bob said. My closest one is on Oklahoma City, about 85 miles away, and it just opened last Oct. I stop in there every chance I get. I would certainly drive 25 miles to patronize them.

Mark Stutz
04-16-2004, 11:02 PM
I regularly stop by the store here. Friendly, knowledgable, helpful, and advice is free. You might save a few bucks by mail but the personal service if there ever is a problem is more than worth a few bucks. All the classes I've ever taken have been good. I'm not sure how much depends on the local store vs. main office, however.

Bruce Page
04-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Absolutely, go check it out. We have a Woodcraft that opened about two years ago and they have already lightened up my wallet by a fair amount. We also have the original “Woodworkers Supply” at 40,000 ft<SUP>2 </SUP>(that also has me on there VIP list). You can spend an enjoyable afternoon cruising these places.

Krikey! We have two great woodworking stores in Albuquerque, why in the hell can’t we get a decent place to buy wood!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jim Ketron
04-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Krikey! We have two great woodworking stores in Albuquerque, why in the hell can’t we get a decent place to buy wood!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Bruce I have many places to get sawmill lumber. cheep!!! oak, cherry, poplar ect. there are about 15 sawmills within 25 miles of my home and I know most of the owners. Im going to build a solar kiln to dry my own lumber. the price of dryed lumber is too high priced for me. It will pay for itself with the first load, compared with the prices at home depot or lowes.
Jim

Bruce Page
04-17-2004, 12:52 AM
Bruce I have many places to get sawmill lumber. cheep!!! oak, cherry, poplar ect. there are about 15 sawmills within 25 miles of my home and I know most of the owners. Im going to build a solar kiln to dry my own lumber. the price of dryed lumber is too high priced for me. It will pay for itself with the first load, compared with the prices at home depot or lowes.
Jim
Jim, if this is some wild attempt to make me feel better about New Mexico's lack of hardwood and the hilariously high prices prices we pay when we do find it.....it's not WORKING!! :mad: :eek: :D

Seriously, when I retire, we're going to head out your way and I'll have all the good stuff close by too!

Bob Aquino
04-17-2004, 7:36 AM
Go. Touch and feel an 18" bandsaw. Look at the belt sanders. Dream, drool (but not on the cast iron please). I'ts a woodworker candy store. :D

Jim Becker
04-17-2004, 9:28 AM
A Woodcraft franchise local to you is a nice thing to have. In most cases, the owner is very committed (he/she better be after that big investment!) and you'll probably enjoy every visit. Your patronage will help keep him/her happy (and in business), too...

Wolf Kiessling
04-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone! Woodcraft has just built a new store about 25 miles from home, and having grandopening 4/17 does anyone shop at Woodcraft stores? is it worth the trip. Its the only dedicated woodworking store around here. Do they have good deals?
Jim

There was something else I wanted to mention but forgot in my other posting. I, like many others, feel that Woodcraft doesn't have the best prices around. HOWEVER, they have many 10 percent off sales. Also, if you register your birthday, you can get 10 percent off during your birthday month. I should mention that this doesn't apply to all of their merchandise. I believe power tools, for one, are exempted. Still....

Furthermore, take today for an example. Today, all Jet tools are 10 percent off. At least, in Oklahoma City but I suspect other places also. I was going to use this opportunity to buy a new Jet 1642 EVS but came up with an even better plan. I used the Woodcraft sales price on this machine to negotiate a better discount with Toolnut. So, Woodcraft allowed me to save an additional 75 bucks or so just by virtue of their sale.

Ralph Steffey
04-17-2004, 1:45 PM
Jim you didn't say if in johnson city or bristol on the new woodcraft? also check your e-mail

Jim Ketron
04-17-2004, 5:49 PM
Ralph sent you an e-mail

Jim

Jim Ketron
04-17-2004, 6:06 PM
Just got back from Woodcraft WOW! I have never seen a store like that! I was like a Kid in a candy store ( Mommy!! can I have One of those? and that? what about this?) they had several demonstrations with lathes I've been wanting one now I gotta have one. (Now how to ask for permission from the boss)They also had some on the scrollsaw too. I hung out there for 3 Hrs. and probably would have stayed longer if i could.
Jim