PDA

View Full Version : Sjobergs work benches

C Scott McDonald
06-22-2008, 2:10 PM
Hey folks,

Would this be sturdy enough to learn with. I want start hand cutting dovetials and learning smooth planing etc. I am just a hobbiest so i would not be making a living using it.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5213

Thanks,
Scott

Michael Faurot
06-22-2008, 5:31 PM
Would this be sturdy enough to learn with. I want start hand cutting dovetials and learning smooth planing etc. I am just a hobbiest so i would not be making a living using it.

I don't have that bench, but awhile back I picked up something very similar via Craiglist for very little money. Two problems you may encounter with a bench of this size are rocking/shifting and it won't stay put because it's light (89lbs according to the web site).

You can fix both issues fairly easily by adding some diagonal bracing to it and by adding weight via salt or sand bags.

Take a look here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=846041&postcount=11) for what I did to my bench.

You could also probably build your own, for something less than the $530 Woodcraft wants for that. If I hadn't come across the bench I did, I was seriously thinking about the idea of using this workbench (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=329601) from Sam's and then drilling my own dog holes and adding my own vises.

Jim Koepke
06-22-2008, 6:23 PM
I have been using one of these for a few years now. Mine is from before they made them righty/lefty all in one.

There are some problems with racking when planing long boards. I have been able to overcome this with different means.

For my small space, it is a very good bench and I would still buy it today.

In the near future, I should have a much bigger shop. I will likely make another bigger, heaver bench and keep this one for many uses.

For a starting to learn bench, it is a good start. One of my first things made using this bench was a piece to slide along on the lower shelf edge and support the back end of a board being planed along the edge.

I have also made a lot of adjustable blocks and such for use to counter vise racking.

jim

Joel Goodman
06-22-2008, 7:41 PM
I have a top with 2 vises from Sjoberg that I purchased for less than $300 a few years ago. It came with bench dogs and their version of a holdfast. The vises are serviceable and the top is fine. The comment about the weight is right on the money -- I would add a shelf on the bottom and add weight. Concrete blocks, sandbags or simply tools can add mass to keep the bench in place. If they still sell the top only it might be worth a look at that option.

John Timberlake
06-22-2008, 9:05 PM
It will probably work well, but may need additional weight. You can add a shelf and put sandbags on it to make it stay put if you do planing or heavy duty carving. The vises work well.

mike holden
06-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I use a sjobergs bench, the model just before the left/right option came out.
I am primarily a hand tool user, and while this will not be the last bench you ever have, it works quite well. I have ordered two of the wood screws for a new bench that I will build, but I dont expect to get rid of the sjoberg.
Short answer: buy it, it will be a long time before you outgrow it.
Mike

John Schreiber
06-23-2008, 4:02 PM
There are lots of ways you can go with workbenches. To use that one for hand work, you're almost certainly going to have to aid weight and bracing. I'd suggest reading Chris Schwarz' Book http://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405 before you make any decisions. It's a really well thought out book about workbenches.

I'm in the process of making my own and I'm sure that it won't need added weight or bracing:D:p. But, I'm probably putting 40 - 60 hours worth of work into it before I get it done, so there is a trade off.

Peter Quadarella
06-23-2008, 6:51 PM
I have 2 of these. I normally use one, but sometimes clamp the second to the first in various configurations and make it double for really big boards or as an assembly table.

It doesn't rack at all, but for face planing (not usually for edge planing) does need to be braced. I use a long pipe clamp from it to a 2x4 on the wall, and it is rock solid when used like that. There are many other ways of bracing it; as a unit it is extremely rigid so as long as you stop it from moving away from you it is awesome. The versatility of the pipe clamps used as vices is awesome. Plus, its portability will retain its usefulness if you ever upgrade.

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchhorse.html

Cliff Polubinsky
06-23-2008, 9:35 PM
Scott,

As it sits the base is a bit light for heavy hand work. However, use it to build a new set of substantial legs and it works fine. I ran across a great deal a few years ago on a Sjorberg bench very similar to that one on clearance on Amazon. I made a base with 3" thick oak legs and added some storage and it now it's rock solid.

Cliff

Jim Koepke
06-24-2008, 3:00 AM
One method used for bracing mine is to run a board along the bottom that I can stand on while planing. With my weight on there, that thing doesn't move.

jim

Jerry Olexa
06-24-2008, 1:32 PM
Several years ago, I purchased a Sjoberg top only w 2 vices, dogs, etc. Then I built the understructure w beefed up 4X4 legs and M/T rails and braces. Used 3/4" nuts and bolts to anchor. Works fine. No movement.I've been very pleased

C Scott McDonald
06-24-2008, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the tip on the book. I just ordered a copy. The only thing that makes me nervous about making one is getting the top dead flat.

Thanks,
Scott

Johnny Kleso
06-24-2008, 7:55 PM
Have you thought about making a bench?
Its much eaiser than building furniture.......

All it has to do is work right, looks have nothing to do with it :)

C Scott McDonald
06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah, the top is what makes me nervous. I have a 6 inch jointer and a 12 inch lunchbox and no hand planes so I am not sure how to get it flat.

I looked at some pre made tops at woodcraft and was less then impressed. Some of strips of wood had wane on the bottom side of the top!

I appreciate everybodies input on this. I am waiting on Chris Schwarz' book from amazon before I move forward.

Thanks,

Scott

lowell holmes
06-26-2008, 8:51 AM
I built the base to my bench from 4X4 fir bought at one of the box stores. I was going to either make a top out of maple or use a maple butcher block counter top.
I found a 24"X72" Jorgeson top made from 2" maple at The Cutting Edge for less money than the maple would cost at local hardwood yards. It weighs about 200 pounds and doesn't move around much. It doesn't move at all when chopping mortises or cutting dove tails. You have several options. I have about $350 in mine.

Michael Hammers
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
All it has to do is work right, looks have nothing to do with it :)

oooohhhhhh...your killing me.....:D

I only WISH I could have retained that motive througout!