PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Winged Crotch Bowl

Bruce Pennell
06-22-2008, 2:05 PM
This was very fun to do. I do not like the final bowl shape? Can't put my finger on it just do not like the look. Wing tip to wing tip 17" bowl part 6"X5", holds lots of candy. Only got whacked once, once was enough....love turning winged bowls, you really have to watch where you put your hands, and other body parts.Sanded with Danish oil to 400 grit, wish my Klingspor order would get here. This piece was very unbalanced could only turn at 575 rpm's. Have 3 HF started still waiting on my Don Pencil tools, should be here by Thursday. This was lots of fun to do while waiting. Left the bark on this one, was a little worried because it was cut in late spring, seems to be holding strong. Thanks for looking.....Bruce

Bruce Pennell
06-22-2008, 2:06 PM
A couple more views.

Paul Engle
06-22-2008, 2:58 PM
Very nice Bruce, winged thingys are fun to turn and dodge :eek:. I see what you mean about the bowl shape , but still is pretty kool lookin.

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2008, 3:03 PM
Man - that must have put out a nice cool breeze while turning! I think you did a really nice job on the piece! I understand your concerns about the bowl... to me it looks taller than it is wide...... very functional when it comes to holding candy... just a little different as far as form! Nice work - looking forward to your next!

Bruce Pennell
06-22-2008, 3:16 PM
Thanks Paul and Steve it was fun to turn. It was like working on a fan with it running. I think I like the winged things because you really have to pay extra attention to what your working on. But after taking the lesson from Wally Dickerman I'm really leaning toward HF now. I have one maple, one spalted maple, and a mesquite shaped and starting to hollow, just waiting on Don Pencils HF tools right now. I will probably order Randy's Monster Tool with laser, after I get the feel of doing it by hand. Thanks for looking...Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2008, 3:23 PM
Bruce that is a fine looking winged bowl. Well done.

Ben Gastfriend
06-22-2008, 7:14 PM
I have to agree to what Steve said. But all in all a functional and neat product.

Bruce Pennell
06-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys, at least it holds lots of candy, its only saving grace. I figured out why I really don't like the shape, looks to much like an upside down hat...Thanks for the nice comments...Bruce

David Newson
06-23-2008, 9:56 AM
Bruce - That's a very nice unusual piece I love this type of turning because you never really know with unusual designs until you try to do one, then the second attempt usually irons out the wrinkles to perfection, look forward to seeing another winged piece.

Brian Effinger
06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, now that is something you don't see every day! Very interesting. I like it a lot, but do agree about the bowl. Maybe if it was half as deep it would seem a little more in proportion.

Scott Lux
06-23-2008, 10:12 AM
It's an interesting and well-done piece. But I think your post title deserves some attention too. "Winged Crotch" sounds like an 80's band name. :D

curtis rosche
06-23-2008, 4:37 PM
that looks neat. if you have other peices like this, you should try doing multiple bowls on the same peice, just different widths and depths for each. then you could sort the candy.