PDA

View Full Version : Holtzapffel Workbench

Mark Ketelsen
06-22-2008, 1:46 PM
I recently completed a bench patterned after Chris Schwarz's Holtzapffel. I deviated from Chris's design in several small ways, that better fit my needs and interestingly move this design closer to the original Holtzapffel. It's 7.5' long, has tool tray, tail vise, and can be knocked down for transport.

I have about 40 pics showing construction details I'd be happy to share -- can anyone recommend where I could upload them?

C Scott McDonald
06-22-2008, 2:13 PM
Wow, awesome bench!

I certainly wood like to see the photo's.

www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) is a free place to host pictures. It is easy to use too.

Thanks,
Scott

Joe Cunningham
06-22-2008, 4:35 PM
Very nice bench. That shop looks too clean though. :D

Jim Koepke
06-22-2008, 6:26 PM
I want one.

Maybe when I get into my new shop...

jim

Dewey Torres
06-22-2008, 8:06 PM
Nice bench ... you are going to love that LV twin screw vise.
Dewey

C Scott McDonald
06-22-2008, 8:50 PM
How did you bolt the legs together? Some type of inserts drilled into the end grain?

Sean Kinn
06-22-2008, 9:28 PM
How did you bolt the legs together? Some type of inserts drilled into the end grain?

My guess is that was done bed-bolt style.

Bench looks great!

Mark Ketelsen
06-22-2008, 10:11 PM

I used Lee Valley bench bolts. They are beefier than bed bolts. Because the legs are 5'' thick in that dimension, I replaced the bolts that come from Lee Valley with longer ones from the hardware store. The legs are only bolted to the long stretchers. The short stretchers are permanently joined to the legs with draw-bored mortise and tenons.

Mark Ketelsen
06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
I certainly wood like to see the photo's.

I uploaded the gory details (53 pics) to Photobucket as you suggested. Unfortunately, they got out of order when they were uploaded, and I can't find a way to get them back into chronological order. I added comments to most of the pics.

Here is the link: http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/Holtzapffel%20Workbench/

There is a slideshow button in the upper right corner. If you hover over the comment under any photo, it will display the entire comment.

Steve Pirrelli
06-23-2008, 5:38 AM
That's a handsome bench. And that's an immaculate shop. Wouldn't mind a closer look at that hanging wall cabinet. I want to build one of those.

Mark Ketelsen
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Wouldn't mind a closer look at that hanging wall cabinet. I want to build one of those.
Well I'm afraid you will be disappointed by the inside of the wall cabinet - it is nothing special except to me. It was built by my father in the 1920's and used by him until the the late 1950's. It remains as he left it and I keep it around for sentimental reasons and it provides convenient storage for screw drivers, pliers, etc.

(Gloat) Beyond the memories, he did pass on a few gems: the #4 and #5 Stanley bench planes (type 11's in pristene shape), a nice set of Disston saws, the brace and Irwin bits, and a couple of nice chisels.

I am also contemplating a new wall cabinet to host my kit of frequently used hand tools which currently reside on a couple of shelves and in tool rolls.

John Schreiber
06-23-2008, 3:43 PM
Mark, Thanks for posting those pictures. I'm working on my bench and you give me hope.

Mark Ketelsen
06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I've had a couple of private messages requesting more details. So here are my cut list and working drawings

Jameel Abraham
06-26-2008, 7:11 AM
Nice looking bench Mark. Did you use the Lie-Nielsen tail vise hardware? Do you think it will hold up--I mean keep from sagging? That's one issue I always have with my tail vise after repeated shimming. Also, do you think you'll mind the handle on your tail vise sticking up past the bench top? It wouldn't last very long on my bench. :) I'm looking forward to seeing your pics, photobucket is down for maintenance at the moment.

Mark Ketelsen
06-26-2008, 8:29 AM
Yes, I used the Lie-Nielsen small tail vise hardware (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=Tail). I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. It is accurately machined and very solid. It fits like a glove in the wood component. The base plate is attached to the bench with four 1/4" screws and a bolt. There are adjustment screws that control how tightly the moving part grips the base plate and these can be adjusted so there is no slop yet the vise travels smoothly.

I haven't encountered an issue with the handle knob sticking up. I too wondered about this when I designed the bench. In reality, whenever I clamp something in the vise, the handle has a low probability of ending up vertical and if it does I'd use a different dog hole or put a little spacer block between the dog and the workpiece. I just turn it horizontal so the handle is lower than the top if I'm sliding a large workpiece around on the bench.