PDA

View Full Version : Fastening Wood to Granite

Burt Alcantara
06-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm going to build a stand for a bathroom bowl/sink that will sit on a small granite slab. What is the best way to fasten these two together?

I don't have a plan for the stand. Will probably be something very simple -- legs, apron and lower shelf. If anyone has ideas about this, I'm all ears as I'm not much of a furniture designer.

Thanks,
Burt

Matt Ocel
06-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Epoxy

and I believe by bathroom bowl/sink you mean "vessel" sink.

David G Baker
06-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Burt,
Silicone may do the trick.
Having lived in earthquake country for almost half a century I found that silicone works great as an adhesive for things like sinks, shower stall panels and I use it for some tile work.

Burt Alcantara
06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Vessel is probably a better term then bowl/sink.
But, I'm surprised to hear the use of "glue" rather then something mechanical. I will default to your experiences.

Burt

John Callahan
06-22-2008, 11:54 AM
The installers on the projects we work on use epoxy........ it seems to work well enough. The exceptions are the breakfest islands/countertops where the granite has a lot of overhang. There they use a combination of epoxy and t-bolts. The t-slots are routed into the underside of the granite. Access holes for the t-bolts are cut into the drywall on the kitchen side of the island wall. The counter is propped up with temp supports till the epoxy fully sets. One crew neglected this step and took out the tile floor and our base/shoe when the counter wound up on the floor.The holes are covered by the backsplash. If your project won't have a lot of overhang, especially to one side or another, epoxy alone should be sufficient imho.

Matt Ocel
06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Burt -
If you want to spend a quick $1K, have your wife google "vessel sinks"

William OConnell
06-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Vessel is probably a better term then bowl/sink.
But, I'm surprised to hear the use of "glue" rather then something mechanical. I will default to your experiences.

Burt
I just put a vessel sink on an oak desk a made several years ago for a customer. Yes, my customers are crazy and wealthy. We moved the desk into a walk in closet for her make up station and she wanted a sink in there. The vessel sinks themselves have tail piece drains that are actually a mechanical mount as well as a drain. As far as attaching the wood to the granite you can drill into the underside of the granite and use lead lag shields much like dishwashers are mounted to the underside of granite counter tops. However BE CAREFUL not to many things suck as bad as cracking granite. If you find this task to daunting silicone is the ticket

Burt Alcantara
06-22-2008, 2:07 PM
Wife has already bought the vessel sink and faucet. The granite is from a kitchen cut-out that a neighbor gave us. I'd prefer not to monkey with the granite at all, just glue it up.

When you guys refer to silicone, what specifically would that be?

Thanks,
Burt

Matt Meiser
06-22-2008, 2:43 PM
I just used clear GE silicone caulk to adhere my granite countertop to my vanity, and the back and side splash to the wall per the instructions.

They used clear silicone for the undermount sink, aided by some mechanical fasteners which were threaded studs bedded in epoxy in drilled holes.

Peter Quinn
06-22-2008, 3:01 PM
I like a good bead of clear silicone adhesive caulk. like tub and bath caulk. Put a little bit of weight on it, give it 10 hours to cure, you'll have a hard time breaking that bond. I don't like to epoxy wood to granite as they move dissimilarly and epoxy is not flexible. I'd guess for your base given the grain orientation wood movement won't be much of an issue in any event.

I've found drilling holes in granite to be not so much fun and avoid it if possible.

Matt Ocel
06-22-2008, 3:49 PM
Make sure it says 100 % silicone

Burt Alcantara
06-22-2008, 5:36 PM
Good deal. I have a bunch in the storage cabinet.

Burt